Chances of drugs at the audition?? 100%

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ritchie_Darling, Jul 24, 2019.

1. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Apparently the fact that this thread is in the humor section is lost on a lot of forum members;)

2. That is being rather charitable to a few.:thumbsup:

JaseyT likes this.
  3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I'm old and curmudgeonny and in my internet experience going back to 1995, I've learned that it's folly to attempt to change the zeitgeist of the internet hive mind. T'will change when i' t'will...

4. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    I answered that ad. I'm not in the area at all but I'm curious to see how the OP got "chances of drugs at the audition?? 100%" from the ad.

DrMole, pellomoco14 and BOOG like this.
  5. He isn't the only one. The majority posting would laughingly think it a high probability:

-Humor section
    -Stereotypes, fair or unfair.
    -A musician- that alone is a greater than 50% chance up front- though many wouldn't bust out at first audition unless it was obvious the player was "cool".

leto likes this.
  6. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    NOOOOOO....!!! MAKE IT STOP!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

7. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

upload_2019-7-25_11-31-22.png

8. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    I guess I'm in the minority. It doesn't strike me as funny at all (in the "Humor" section). In fact, it appears the OP was trolling to me. What kind of stereotype makes a person think the CL ad poster is a drug user? I'm sorry I just don't get it. I'm old and a tad curmudgeony but there is nothing in the CL ad that strikes me as that person is a drug user.

wraub likes this.
  9. Hey, firstly; apologies for being a bit smart alecky.
    We all come from different backgrounds and have had different musical experiences.
    I have played in or with bands or musicians from every state east of the Mississippi and the one constant has been SOME form of drug use in the band. Not always everyone in the group. Some bands did drugs like they were water. Some just a bit. Played in a group with "business professionals" including a Physician, attorney and two regional radio sales managers- every one of them at least would smoke the herb.
    It seems it's just -as the kids say-a thing.
    What i may have done 30 years prior is no longer "my thing" on so many levels but those experiences of playing as my only job for about 5 years color my take on everything since and myself, and many others truly would see this post exactly as OP presented.

Again, apologies for quick, snarky replies.
    We are all one with the bass.

foolforthecity, Engle and Cave Puppy like this.
  10. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    don't eat the brownies, just sayin'

11. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    I understand the humor but nothing wrong with the ad Maybe just trying to say:

Dedicated and Motivated bassist wanted. Our style is a blend of old and new. Must be a good listener and play with passion also be able to comfortably cover many style's. This is something I as a drummer enjoy doing and look for in a bassist. Being thoughtful is also a great asset. Thanks for looking...

12. You’re probably right. It’s easy to forget that many people aren’t great at getting their ideas across in writing.
    I would still expect weed to be a factor;)

13. peteybass

peteybass Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    True as he could be stoned to be-jesus. :) I wonder what the ads looked like for bands initially that ended up being famous?

14. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    i dunno im stoned :confused: :nailbiting: :sleep:

15. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    excellent

Winslow likes this.
  16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    [​IMG]

Verb the Noun, tzohn, chuckNC and 4 others like this.
  17. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Maybe you just didn't get it. It happens. I found it funny just due to the wording. Everyone has a different sense of humor. I understand where the OP came from. Don't interpret it literally and ask about stereotypes. It's just in the way the Craigslist ad reads. Nothing more to it. At least IMO.

gebass6 likes this.
  18. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    "You're not allowed to find humor in this. Even though there's VERY little chance the ad poster would ever read this thread, you're not allowed to mock the ad." Lighten up, francis.

foolforthecity, DrMole and jthisdell like this.
  19. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

It's the"Visionary bassist" and "Thinking Deep is a very good thing. Peace" part.
    Check out #4 on this list.
    21 Problems People Who Don't Smoke Weed Will Understand

20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I've read far worse ads. Might be interesting. If I were looking for a gig, and somehow could pull off living in Arizona during the summer without killing myself, I'd probably call the guy and just scope out what his deal is.

I see NOTHING that indicates drugs nay or yea. Unfortunately, I also see nothing that indicates money or gigs, nay or yea.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021