Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Change from EBS to Trace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Got To Groove, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Got To Groove

Got To Groove Guest

Jun 14, 2005
    hi guys.... i´m have an opertunity to change from EBS to Trace

my rigg now is a EBS hd-350 head whit a neo-1x12" cab.

i can change to an trace elliot gp7-sm preamp whit a 400w poweramp and a trace 1248 4x12

is this a good choice?

i know that this is a personal opinion but i like to sound of a trace more than from ebs

i payd like 12000:- swedish kronors for my EBS rigg thats around 1200-1300$

and i´d like to know if this is a good exange?

or if i should keep the EBS!

i don´t want my gear to be cheap and so on....and if i deside to sell it sometime i want to get as mutch money as possible....

i play on different stages.....

sometimes smal and sometimes out doors....

my present rigg dont do the job if i play whit an hardrock band but if i play whit an orchestra i still don´t have so mutch power left!

what do u think??

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Personally, I believe the Trace rig would fit your gigging situation better than the EBS. With the Trace you will have way more power and four 12's instead of only one. Plus, if you like the trace sound I can't really see why you would hesitate.
    Resale value? I have no idea what Trace equipment sells for in Sweden(?). You will just have to decide if its worth it to you. Good luck.

3. Got To Groove

Got To Groove Guest

Jun 14, 2005
    thanks for the reply....... do anyone have any experiens whit 4x12" ? can thay produce a "funky" sound??

4. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Right now your setup is cca 20kg, that is less than 1248 cab alone and if you add weight of preamp, power amp and rack you are in the 40-50kg region - question is do you want to carry all that around?
    Your current rig is very portable, the trace rig is powerful but not easily transportable.
    Maybe you could try HD 350 with larger box? Or add another box to go with neo 112?

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Waouh, for me it s a crazy idea.
    Perhaps you need a bigger cab or a warmer head like the fafner.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The "resale value" question is an interesting one, especially now that Trace has been revived.

Trace resale took a dramatic nosedive over the past few years for a few reasons:

1. Gibson's attachment de-valued the brand
    2. Once they were discontinued, the issue of replacement parts became prominent
    3. They were spectacularly expensive to begin with

Now that Trace is being revived, the name recognition will be elevated and the search for "classic" Trace heads may very well become a phenomenon (at least i hope so since I have some 80s Trace heads), but this is pure speculation.

So, right now, it's really hard to say what the resale value will be.

7. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Before you decide, try the EBS TD650 and EBS 410 or 412 cab( or two Neo 212).
    This setup will give you about the same power as the Trace rig, but a very different sound. Some times its easy to be blended by a big difference in power.
    The TD650 is a very versatile head

Personally I find the Trace transistor amps a bit "sterile", but the building quality was superb in the 80`s and 90`s. Haven`t played the never models.

Carrying a 412 cab is also VERY heavy....

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Consider getting the Trace preamp and poweramp while sticking with your lightweight neo cab (and maybe adding a second). That 4x12 is a heavy beast.

9. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    To correct my previous post Trace 1248 cab has 45kg so realistic estimate of the rig weight is around 55-60kg (121-132lbs) -that is 3 times heavier than your current rig.
    IMHO I wouldn't want to carry that much weight on every gig.

10. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I know everyone nowadays wants to make everything lightweight but how hard would it be really? I lug a 10sp rack filled with a QuatraValve, ART Nightbass SE processor, Korg DTR-2, light/power strip unit plus my Trace 2x15 cab, basses, and my backups. I'm 35yo and a little guy at 5'8" and 140 lbs and I handle it. I guess to me its worth it though.

Got To Groove, the weight is something you definately should consider if having a light rig is important to you.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I would get the full trace rig, maybe get a Chiropractor too but the sound would be worth it. My 4x10 is 30kg, it isn't that bad, can carry it up and down stairs quite easily and I'm 5ft11" with the 10kg head on the top it's still quite portable (to me that is though I weight train). If weight is really a concern get an ashdown rig roadie or similar - basically a tilt back trolley for moving cabs and amps on with a very high max weight, that would make it easier.

12. Got To Groove

Got To Groove Guest

Jun 14, 2005
    the weight of the rigg is not so important to me....but my parents car is quite smal....i guess i need to try the rigg out and then make my mind up........

i love trace but i dont know how it will sound whit a yamaha poweramp....

if i get the rigg do u guys know a good poweramp that can give the 4x12 a nice push....my budget is around 300-500$

13. I don't think you need to change your amp, just get a bigger cab for the EBS - the watts difference isn't really going to make that much difference especially when compared to the EBS, which is underated for a 350 watt head IMO.

14. NOOOOOOOOOO! I would keep the EBS and get the EBS 410 to go with it. I have played that setup and it is mindblowing!!!! I owned a Trace a few years back and it was a great unit, but the EBS is just insane!

15. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I have never played through a bigger Trace Rig, but owned one of their combos when i started playing. And, i dont know if thats such a good trade. I would be REALLY happy with the trade if i was getting the EBS equipment. It seems, you are trading a very modern portable rig, and one that belongs to one of the premium bass companies, for something older and not up to date, and from a respectable "mass" oriented bass company. Again, this is just my opinion, i might be wrong, and correct me if i am. But i just dont see this as a good deal on your part.

Greetings
    Michael

16. I've played through countless models of Trace combos and heads (except the V series tube heads) and so far I have only found one that sounded even remotely good...(and I was using SWR cabs that night) but the preamp/power amp might be a different situation? I'd stay with the EBS and add more cabs like I said earlier... I'm not a big fan of Trace cabs either.

17. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm a big fan of both EBS and Trace, but not weight. Myabe a compromise, like the Trace head, and a slghtly larger cabinet. Resale for EBS is much better the Trace. I wouldn't trade, but buy the Trace at the lowest price-It's hard to give away Trace gear these days...

18. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice setup :)
    But realistically you need at least station wagon car just for your setup - my whole band's equipment fits in a station wagon :p
    I have EBS210 +4spc rack with Mackie 1400 + EBS 1V2 and total weight is less than Trace cab alone.

The Trace 1248 is great cab - I played on it once and I was amased with sound, the thing I wasn't amased was weight and size - this thing fills up volvo trunk and it is 2 preson job to carry it.

19. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Actually, I transport it al in a little '89 Ford Festiva! :p

20. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    :eek:
    :hyper:
    How? You pull all the seats out of the car? You break the la(o)ws of physics? I have car of similar size ('91 3-door Opel Corsa) and no way I could fit that much gear in it. :bag: