Change in musical preference.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jobu3, Apr 7, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've always been into classic rock. Since my father turned me onto Zep and Hendrix at the tender age of 6, got into the Doors at about 7. My mom was heavy into the Beatles.

I had a stint where I was into metal of all sorts and still do like some "heavier" stuff. Not quite pile-drivingly heavy, but you know... :p :smug:

I've really been into blues of all genres as well for several years.

Anyways, I'm starting to get into more "rootsy" kind of music. A little bluegrass, blues, jazz, celtic, folky, and even some funky country-like stuff... Not the Shania Twain/Kenny Chesney pop/alt-country stuff but country-blues/rockabilly-tinged stuff. I just picked up some Robert Randolf and the Family Band and the John Butler Trio and I'm totally digging it. I've always enjoyed jamming/jam-bands but only if it actually had a groove of sort and went someplace... Not a bunch of soloing for the sake of soloing.

Anything you guys recommend I check out? I'm open to almost anything.
  2. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    check out smash's garaj mahal thread.

oteil and the peacemakers , is rootsy , jazzy and so soulful
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    try yourself some "Medeski, Martin and Wood" Keys, Drums and Bass. The Jam side of Jazz with a fair mix of acoustic and electric (John Scofield's "A Go-Go" and "Bump" had them backing him)

The 2 newest are my Favorites (at this point ;) )

Chris Wood has tone and tasty grooves for days! If you are computer savy and not bandwidth challenged you can get legit live shows from them via & etc

their site is
  4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Actually I picked up their End of the World Party the other day... At first, I was a little disappointed. The first three tracks were a little too electronica for my tastes but then it came back to where I like it and the grooves were DEEP! Great tone, tasty note choices... He was working some double stops that sat perfectly. I'm gonna look into more of their stuff... It's jazzy but I get it. Just what I'm looking for! I think that they are coming to the Staircase here in Pittston which is literally just ten minutes from my house. I might have to check them out. :cool:

I love Oteil with the Allmans... I have their Live at Beacon Theater DVD. They really need to put him (and his Fodera) in the spotlight a bit more, IMO. I'll have to look into that and I'll also look up SMASH's thread.

Thanks for the input guys... It's much appreciated! :hyper:
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    If you want groove and funk, check out the 2 Scofield discs they were on. "A Go-Go" is one of my "Desert Island" discs.

another aquired taste... but check out some Ben Harper too. I Love his Live double disc. Juan has some killer tone and groove too.
  6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Cool! I'll check them out... Thanks, James! At this point, I practically get sick looking at the newer stuff in the CD stores. There's no substance. Maybe rock is dead?! :eyebrow: :help:

I've pretty much exhausted the local section of listenable stuff... Time to experiment a little!

BTW, I think my former drummer had some Ben Harper... Not sure. It might have been just been Ben Folds which I know he has... I'll have to ask him.
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Do you have any Fela Kuti?

Do you?

If you don't, then you have serious problems.
  8. i dig some of this music. especially john butler. i used to go watch him busking in fremantle when i was younger with my old man. top bloke too. u should check out his album THREE, that was pretty much his breakthrough album and change in sounds. also the Living album (live tracks) is really good too. theres a really kool bass solo and drum solo in the song colours on it. ben harper is good to listen too aswell. i dnt know alot of other stuff, but in freo (town in Perth W.A) theres heaps of this kind of music. probaby coz of the laid back smoke a joint and have some coffee vibe! lol :p

Chips :bassist:
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can get Jazz, Funk, Rock, Latin, Thrash, etc all in one band-
    Naked City.
    Try to pick up Radio...& don't hurt youself listening to the 1st cut.

Others that cross genre lines-
    Screaming Headless Torsos(a few of us totally recommend the recent DVD set; TWO concerts, almost 10 years apart, exact same band personnel).
    Something 'different'? The Hasidic New Wave. The guitarist & bassist from the Screaming Headless Torsos playing in a Klezmer band...sorta a cross between Hendirx, early Weather Report, & Bitches Brew-era MIles. Kabalogy...check it out.

If you're into the 'new' Allman Bros band & Oteil's Peacemakers...look for the 1st couple Aquarium Rescue Unit albums with Oteil.

For Funky Country-like stuff...check out Keith Horne's new band, Hot Apple Pie. Their album is due out in June.
  10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Very cool guys! Sounds like some good stuff out there that I'll be checking out... BTW, I've never even heard of Fela Kuti. :eyebrow: :ninja:
  11. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Check out Donna the Buffalo. They're an interesting as all hell band. They have everything from country, to rock, to Zydeco. Their offical site is here and you can download some live stuff for free at here. I really enjoy them, I stumbled onto them a summer or two ago, been a fan ever since.
  12. Gov't Mule is some good rock. You can download shows off of their website too. Good guitar playing and rock the way it used to sound like. Very good stuff.
  13. Since you said you're kind of getting into some Celtic type stuff, I had a few pop into mind:

SOLAS - nice Celtic/folk band...also have some rock-ish songs (SOLAS stands for "Safety on Land and Sea)
    Chieftains - They just absolutely rule.
    Mackeel Plaid - kind of a Celtic/Rock fusion. Really interesting stuff. Kind of like a Classic Rock version of Dropkick Murphys.
  14. I like the North Mississippi Allstars. Their bassist (Chris Chew) is a personal friend of mind. We play baseball and basketball with each other in high school. It's modern hill-country blues.

My favorite rock bassist is Dave Schools from Widespread Panic. Track down some of their live music and give it a listen if you are not familiar with them. Its jamband stuff, but it grooves.

The String Cheese Incident blends jam, Latin, pop, rock, bluegrass, etc very well. They hold down some decent grooves as well.

Galactic is a New Orleans funk band that does it for me.
  15. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    son volt
    jerry garcia and dave prolly know them, but jic...:D
    old and in the way
    yonder mountain string band
    lyle lovett
    django...toujours django...
    screamin' jay hawkins
  16. A few months ago my wife started working on stride piano. So I am playing bass and guitar to a lot of Fats Waller, Jimmy Yancey and Meade Lux Lewis. That would be different from what you have been doing. How about some of the modern African music you get on "world beat" music shows? Great rhythm there. I lived in Brasil for a while about 15 years ago and I am a big fan of Brasilian rock as well as samba. How about some classical. I remember a guy named Sandy Bull who put out a couple albums in the '60s with things like Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" played on banjo, oud and Fender jazz bass. Some of Mahler's stuff works well on bass and Kodaly's cello stuff sounds cool on bass. I read that you grew up on rock, but didn't read anything about r&b from the same period. How about James Brown with Bootsy Collins. Definitely a bass player with a groove. Ramsey Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Larry Graham and Graham Central Station. How about renaisance music. Indian sitar and tabla music. Cuban and Caribbean drums. Gee, now I want to get off the computer and listen to lots of this stuff.
  17. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I picked up a bunch of CD's today...

Scofield: A-Go Go. Groovy, smooth, funky. Excellent tone across the field. I dig it!

Ben Harper: Live at the Hollywood Bowl EP and with the Blind Boys of Alabama. He's incredible! I can see myself buying all of his stuff... Funky, soulful, bluesy grooving!

North Mississippi All Stars: Polaris and Instores & Outtakes (Live) Very listenable but I think it might take some me more listens to really get into it. Great rock/blues music.

Great recommedations guys... Thanks and keep 'em coming! :bassist:
  18. zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Now something that I've stumbled upon / back into recently is those artists from the late 60's and early 70's who mixed jazz with rythm and blues ino a funky stew. Specifically I picked up a Houston Person album called Goodness and a CD by Idris Muhammad, Legends of Acid jazz, which compliles his first two albums as a band leader.

The bass playing is electric, very funky blues grooves and a fair amount of walking and this stuff just grooves. The soloists are hot and the music is very melodic. This would be fun stuff to play in a band.
  19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Glad you dig it... it's a regular rotation disc here. "Bump" is a follow up and similarly vibed... FYI: John's "Uberjam" is a cool disc too, if you're diggin on Scofield's lines.

You gotta get "Live from Mars" if you dig that one!!!

Chew is a great player... you know he's a Schroeder guy right? He is one of BB's regular customers.
  20. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Yeah, I saw his pic on the user's page last night... :smug: