Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Change in plans: getting the new Intel core iMac

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    So, my wife has decided that instead of me building the new computer, she'd like a new iMac. Luckily, the timing was good as the new Intel core units are available for order.

So now, 17" or 20"? Applecare or no Applecare?

Help guys!

2. 20" It's nice having a big screen :cool:

3. Applecare is definitely worth it !

ANd yeah, the 20" is worth the difference. I own a 20" Cinema disply and it's just wonderful.

Enjoy !

BTW, is this your first mac ?

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, I'd like the 20, but am going 17, simply because the way our office is set up, the 17 will fit better and make more sense overall. So, to compensate I upped the memory to 1g, got the 250g drive, the wireless keyboard/mouse, and applecare.

I've used both pc's and macs for a long time...I'm one of those that always wanted a mac for our home as well as a pc, but couldn't justify the money. Now, we're at a point where we can make it work, so this is our first mac. And now, we are officially Mac using, VW driving, UC Santa Cruz-going liberal educators. Damn, I already hate myself:eek:

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, if you want to live amidst snow and drive a Nissan, and have always thought career in chemistry could be right for you, I guess we could swap places :D

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :D

7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm planning on taking the plunge and buying an imac in the near future. I'm interested in upgrading the memory but I have a question. If I buy additional memory through Apple, I can upgrade to 1 GB for $100 but they offer two ways to do it:

1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2 x 512
    or
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1 x 1GB

Is there any reason to choose one over the other, and can you explain the difference? It may be a stupid question, but Apple's website doesn't help. Thanks.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Taking all on one 1GB chip leaves space for second chip available, which means you can add more memory later. Are both priced the same? I'd expect the options would be either 512+512MB = 1GB or 512+1024MB = 1,5GB.

There's no sense in getting 2x512MB if you can get 1x1GB for the same price. If you want to add memory to 1,5/2GB, you'd have to sell one or both 512MB chips that exist.

9. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    OK, thanks, that makes sense. Yes, they're both priced the same. You can also upgrade to 2 x 1GB for $300, but I don't need that. So I'll just upgrade the standard 512MB chip to 1GB. I wonder why they offer it both ways?

EDIT: Here's what the Apple website says about adding memory:

The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. It's especially important to have sufficient memory if you work on large, graphics-intensive files or memory-hungry programs. Increasing the amount of memory is an easy way to improve performance.

iMac computers contain 667MHz MHz double data rate, synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR2-SDRAM), one of the fastest memory technologies available today. All iMac systems include one 512MB SO-DIMM for a total of 512MB main memory. All systems will support up to 2GB of main memory using a maximum of two 1GB SO-DIMMs filling the two accessible memory slots. To maximize memory performance, it is recommended that memory SO-DIMMs be installed in pairs.

10. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    grrr... I want one of those so bad! 17" model, w/ 2Gb of RAM, please and thank you! I'm contemplating selling my Powerbook G4 to help finance it. If this will be your first Mac, I highly doubt you'll regret the decision. My Powerbook was my first after years of Windows-based systems, and I will NEVER look back.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've had a Mac since 1986. I love them.

I've had my new Intel iMac for about a week. It's great - and I ONLY have the 17", 1 Gig Ram, 250 HD version. It's so fast and the software is so seamless. I'll have this sucker filled up with baby pics and movies in no time.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Intel Mac Mini is out today, by the way. Available with the same processor as on iMac, the Intel Core Duo on the top end $799 model, same appearance but adds a remote and more living room computer -style goodies.