Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Change MTD Kingston MM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaBassman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I want to replace the MM pick up on my MTD Kingston, it's just too bright a sound for my taste. I'd like a mellower jazz sound......anyone know what might fit in that same spot?
    thanks

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It's actually not a standard MM-size pickup, so a direct replacement using a standard MM pickup won't work without routing.

But fear not! Bartolini does make an exact replacement and you can get it through Grasshopper, who works at Bass Central? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about where he works.

Anyway, Mike Tobias directed me to him and he hooked me up with a Bart replacement for my K5. Coupled with the Bart preamp that it already has in place thanks to a different mod, it sounds fantastic and the difference is like night and day - seriously! The stock pickup was WAY to harsh for me and I almost gave up on the bass before finding that replacement. Now, the K5 is my main bass (and you can look at my profile to see what it's competing against).

Do a search for "grasshopper" on the board and you'll find out how to get in touch with him. He can order it for you and he is fantastic to deal with.

3. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Thanks!
    I actually picked the bass up today from a local guitar store where I had it to be sold!!!! Mike T also told me this morning that he was going to get me info on a Bart replacement. What type of preamp did you but yours?
    Yup, I just love this bass (it's a lefty too) but never seemed to play it because of that BRIGHT sound!:crying:
    thanks again

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Not sure what knd of Bart preamp is in it, actually. The previous owner (a fellow TBer) had the mod done.

And I was right - Grasshopper works at http://www.basscentral.com/

Give him a call and he can get you hooked up.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Does that Bart pickup have a model number?

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Just THIS morning I ordered a Bart MMC from Best Bass Gear.com in NH. $95 + 5 shipping. I ordered it at 7:30am and they shipped it at 9:30!!!
    Mike T told me this will drop right in my Kingston. BBG's website described this model as having the deepest tone for me.
    good luck!

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  8. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
  9. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I did the same to my kh4 a couple of years ago.

10. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    and the sound??? much better, I hope!!:)

11. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I have the MMC (and a Bart NTBT pre) and it's great....deep, clear.

I'd pair it with a bart pre-amp...I believe they have low output if you just run 'em passive.....

good luck

12. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Well, that's something they neglected to tell me.....hope it's not true....but we'll see!

13. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Warm mellow sound--what i like.
    And, i got a real kick in the pants when my bass instructor (who has a 60s vintage Fender and Lakland USA) said he was impressed with it, too ( and the TI-rounds).

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thinking about doing this pickup swap on my kingston fretless.

Anyone do it and leave it passive?

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also, are all of the bart MM pickups direct replacements, like all of the models on that page linked above?

And are they really low output?
    Im looking at the MM4CBC

Although, i dont have any complaints about the stock pickup, so i may not, since money is tight atm.

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    for future reference to others wondering about this:

According to Bartolini's website (which is one seriously dissarrayed website, BTW) the model that fits the 5 string Kingston is called a DL. i found it on the sizing sheet after measuring my pickup. it is 4.6" long.

i'll call Bass Central in the next few days about ordering one and i'll see if that is the correct model.

17. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Got my Bart MMC from Best Bass Gear last night and installed it today. It fit perfectly and sounds GREAT!!! The difference is like night and day! :hyper:
    I highly reccomend one. Thanks for all of your input on this topic!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats the passive output on the mmc like?

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    DaBass, is there anyway you could post a sound clip or email me with a sound clip of it? i am about a week away from ordering mine...

20. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Passive, no problem!! And I was concerned about that.
    Posting a sound clip may be beyond my computer ability!!! But I'll see if my son can help me with that!!
    I don't think you'd be sorry.
    The guys from Best Bass Gear are great too.