1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Change My View: QSC K12s are the best PA speakers attainable by the average musician

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Wissen, Dec 14, 2018.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Which speakers have you demoed that are twice the price?

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^Obviously, I can't get the Rolling Stones, but most of my acts have a current album with airplay, and lots of Juno ( Canada's Grammy award) winners. We have to talk them into playing such a small venue.

kcolyar likes this.
  3. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Gotcha.

My thought is that at that level the mention of QSCs is more likely to hinder than help in the process, but maybe I have the wrong read of the situation .

4. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    I'm just making conversation, trying to solicit exactly these opinions and lists. No, I have not heard ALL the similar offerings. That's why I asked the question. I'm not a professional sound engineer, just a musician who had to run his own sound a LOT in amateur situations, and has used a fair variety of equipment to do so.

lfmn16 likes this.
  5. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Fair enough. Looking back I may have been a little harsh with my wording and did not intend to be so. I also took a topic swerve with replying to Paulabass about her club sound and booking situation, which is different than the intention with your OP and I admit to confounding those two things.

---------------------------------------

The components within each model can tell a lot about how the cab will perform. Most cabs in the same price class and category will have similar features, but some will stand out. You put a K12 up against almost any similarly priced speaker that has come to market in the last 5 years and it's going to struggle to keep up. And as the price point goes up you'll see larger diaphragm drivers on the high frequency element, and more advanced processing, and the clarity and output will significantly outpace the K12.

Wissen likes this.
  6. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    @Pat C. I have indeed seen some of what you are talking about. We have a pair of K12.2s that were the actual impetus for this post, but I myself was imprecise.

It's a nice problem to have that our church band makes regular money that in some cases we can't distribute personally, so eventually we are going to say "What can we do with the $XXXX we have build up in the account?" A digital mixer is next, but I am going to keep this thread in mind when I say to the group "what about new speakers?" Staying in the K12.2 price range, I'm always fascinated to see what's out there. Even if the wording to my question was a little combative.

7. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    You realize that changes everything, right?

I've only heard the K12.2 (as monitors) and K8.2 (over KW181's as mains) on one occasion but I was very, very impressed. I was particularly blown away by the 8.2, I couldn't believe the clarity and output that speaker had. The sub was doing a ton of the work but to me it demonstrated 1) that a smaller woofer is not a detriment for a top speaker and 2) the Kxx.2 series is a different monster than the original K series. I'm interested in hearing the other cabs but there is just so much old K in use the wild and on the used market and it's so reliable that I'm not sure the new stuff is going to make inroads for a while.

If you've got the new series then you should be good. I'd bet most cabs at double the price will still outperform the K.2's, but it'll be a closer comparison that the old line would've been.

How about subs?

AlexanderB likes this.
  8. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I just bought a used K12 from GC, I needed a powered monitor. I also plan on using it for a bass amp via a Tone Hammer pre/di for smaller gigs. Anyone else use K12 with a preamp like a TH or VT Bass?

9. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    Believe it or not, we have had a hard time finding a drummer and therefore usually play without. So the bass amp is more than enough to carry the low end. Plus I'd be the one loading it in and out.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I did that for most of last year. Used the TH and also Mesa Subway DI. Worked great for me in that band. I recently decided to go back to my GK Mb-Fusion and 4x10. Gig changed and I don’t always have to mix this one from stage. Nice to go back to being the bass player...

11. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    For the same money , I'd be all over RCF instead of QSC.

12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    The K12 came in today and I did some test runs with the TH and a VT bass, both fronted by a Diamond than plugged right into the K12. I started to prefer the TH and can get a pretty good tone from it, boardering on really good/great. I can definitely hear the full range/flatter response nature of the K12. It is a different sound than a bass specific cab...I don’t think one is better or worse than the other, just different. I would love to try a Mesa Subway Preamp/DI.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    the Th gives up the goods fast. Easy to get a good sound. Ultimately for me, the Mesa was the winner but that was after a long get acquainted period. The Mesa just took me more time to suss.

FirewalZ likes this.
  14. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I feel that way about the TH, but the Mesa does seem to have more options and settings.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The QSC's are very nice but at $799 for a single 12, I cannot afford that on my salary and the miniscule paid gigs. Folks slag on the cheaper brands but those speakers are perfectly capable and sound decent albeit less features like onboard DSP and eq. If you have a digital mixer, you don't need those features.

FirewalZ likes this.
  16. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    The current K12.2 model was to much $ to buy new and I got a good deal on a used "K12", which is the previous version. Ive done a few gigs with it and it sounds really good, I run my bass through a ToneHammer than right into the K12. It sounded full and very present, overall im happy with this set up. Most of the time it will be used as a standard floor monitor, and don't always need to run my bass through it....but its good to know that it works and sounds great when i do need it for that.

17. I'm personally quite fond of the Alto ts215's for the cash they are awesome

DWBass and FirewalZ like this.
  18. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yea, for smaller gigs its definitely pretty convenient to simply run my bass right into the monitor and use the other channel for vocals, guitar and such. My bass tone does sound different through a full range/flat response box, not "better" or "worse" just different....there is more of everything across the frequency spectrum. I would like to try some different pre-amp/DI's, maybe the MESA?

19. For a solidstate bass pre I dont think you can find better then the mesa pre honestly I only switched from it because I missed the tube warmth so I custom ordered a verellen meatsmoke pre. The new subway di+ looks even better still. I'm betting they release a tube pre like the new wd800 amp next and that one would be a huge temptation even for me.

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    One of my gigs has a full QSC rig. Just a great PA for the average
    working band.