1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Change of genre to fix lack of motivation?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by metallist, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Hello fellow TB's.

I am sort of lost musically at the moment and got thinking - would a change of music genre/style fix the issue?

If it helps, I give you a little back ground on myself:
    I've been playing bass for well over 7 years; mostly heavy metal/hard rock (think a mixture of Opeth, Tool, early Metallica and most recently Dream Theater). Got decent gear (Schecter Studio 6, GK700RBII, GK4x10, Ampeg BSE115 and a healthy pedal board - damn you Justin Chancellor!). I play with fingers and can use a pick (fingers are my preferred weapon). I can't read music - although I'd love to learn, just never get around to it. Can't slap (don't want to) but can intermediately tap. I don't know I great deal of theory either.

I consider myself to be good - but no John Myung.

Ultimately I'd love to learn how to solo on bass and improve on the spot.

If there is any other info I can provide - please ask; after all - I am enlisting in you all for assistance!

:help:

Cheers, Simon

2. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    It will probably work. Some suggestions:
    Electro (try Justice, their live album "A cross the universe" is brutal)
    Jazz (this could motivate you to learn how to improvise but it requires a lot of practise)
    Indie (try some arctic monkeys and or The Killers)

Other bands you could try: Queens of the stone age, Dead Weather, The last shadow puppets, Frans Ferdinand, The Kooks, Datarock and Klaxons.

Try to be open to new sounds and really listen to it before discarding it as noise or soft poppy cr*p or something.

3. Learn how to read sheet music.

4. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Get into zouk

5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    variety can be a good thing and will help you develop some new ideas as well

Todd :)

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    get into bass centered genres like funk, r&b (of the Motown and Atlantic variety) and reggae.

7. or at least tab. Then look in magazines and on the net for new songs and ideas.

I sometimes turn on an R &B station (I have satelite radio on my TV) and play along. New and fresh ideas abound:bassist:

8. You just described me to the dot, Simon.

Except, I can play intermediate sort of slap, and cannot tap for peanuts. I can also sight read music at an intermediate sort of level.

I think the problem is I've got to a level where everything is either significantly easier or harder than my level of playing... I can't seem to find anything right on my level.

I'd also love to learn to write my own bass lines (properly) and improvise grooves... except I have no idea where to start... I could spend hours learning scales and modes like everyone suggests, but then I'd still have no idea how to apply them.

Edit: I'm from Victoria also :p

9. I'd recommend just finding a fun drummer to play with and start grooving. Absolutely free form. And try to put some of those scales/modes to use. It'll also help you with your timing, and you'd be surprised what kind of stuff comes out. It will be wretched at times, and glorious at other times. Also enlist other musicians too, guitar players, keyboards, whatever and just JAM!

10. Hey all - thanks for the reponces.

I can read tabs - just can't read sheet music.

I see Funk & Reggae popping up alot; any suggestions of bands/bassists?

Scott01 - glad to see another Melbournian on board! Sucks thou - we are in the same boat - I do agree with what you say "I think the problem is I've got to a level where everything is either significantly easier or harder than my level of playing".

I have played with several drummers - both really good and horribly terrible; gelled well with them, but again, I was improving with NO IDEA of what I was doing.

Cheers, Simon

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude from Opeth studies a lot of jazz from what I hear. Might be fun and would give you some better chops and some cool ideas that work well in heavier styles. My advice would be to take some lessons from someone with a solid jazz background. Best way to get out of a rut is to take lessons.

12. Yeah - I like Mendez (Opeth); he plays some really good stuff.

I was trying to avoid having to get lessons - a) money & b) last time I had lessons it was a waste of time (by waste of time I mean I didn't learn anything; the teacher only wanted me to learn songs... Hence the reason I am skeptical about lessons.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right...that's why it's good to take them from someone with a jazz background. They know what to teach people that makes them improve rather than what entertains some dopey kid for an hour.

14. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Have you considered taking up norweigian church burning Black satanic metal
    it will inspire you in no time

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Go visit your local 70's burnout acid casualty and borrow some of their Gong albums.

You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever

I fall apart soon after 3:30, the timing is completely beyond me.

16. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Either get a good teacher or/and buy some early Aebersold books for theory and jazz playing and soloing,

Sly

17. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Getting into a cover band has given me more inspiration in the last month than I had the the couple years before that. Never thought it would be like that, but having to study other bassists' work and learn it on a deadline has completely blown open my musical horizons.

Believe it or not, I learned a thing or two trying to translate a synth part for a Lady GaGa song to bass and make it work just yesterday.

18. ... ooooo k then

19. I was thinking of getting into a cover band - but living in Melbourne, Australia, there are not a great deal out looking for bassists... :mad:

20. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    You can get most of the benefit on your own if you really put some effort into it.

Go cruise the forums for cover band setlists. Learn those songs, learn to play them as if you were going to perform them live. The downside is that you don't get the payoff--watching all the ladies dancing in front of the stage to songs you were convinced everybody hated as much as you do. :)