Change of guard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpwinters, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Tortoise

14 vote(s)
  2. Gold Mirror

1 vote(s)
  3. Brushed Gold Anodized

1 vote(s)
  4. Pearl White

4 vote(s)
  5. White

1 vote(s)
  6. Pearl Black

3 vote(s)
  7. Black

1 vote(s)
  8. Red

1 vote(s)
  9. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
  1. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I'm thinking of changing my pickguard on my 50th Anniversary Jazz. It has gold hardware.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I say leave it be. I put a tortise pickguard on my Fender Jazz V then after a couple years went back to the basic white. I think it looks much better. Or if you don't have routs under there, go with the Jaco style no pickguard look.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just take it off.
    IF you by any chance feel disturbed by the few tiny holes, fill them. Otherwise, it will be quite pretty.

if you can stand the "Jaco copy" comments, of course
  4. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I can't take it off. When fender made these basses, they routed a rectangular hole for the pickup and a channel that goes from the pickup to the control cavity. I can't understand why they did that except to save money. So I have to have a guard on it.
  5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A "50th Anniversary" bass sounds like a special commemorative issue. I would not change it at all. That's just my opinion though - I'm sure others would do differently!
  6. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Fender made em to commemorate their 50th Anniversary. They had the Strat, Tele, Precision, and Jazz. All were sunburst with flame maple tops and backs and gold hardware. They made 500 of each model. I want to change the guard because it is starting to get scratched a little bit. I'll save the original to put back on if I ever decide to get rid of the bass (probably never happen).
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think Pearl White would look great.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the white looks very nice.
  9. Took the words right out of my post.:D
  10. I think Tortois would looks cool. but I think anything with tortois is cool.:rolleyes: :D
  11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Just what I was about to say!!!!!!!!
  12. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    tort would look good on reg 3-tone sunburst, but on yers id keep white
  13. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I'd like Pearl white, myself.
  14. I had a black Jazz with a white pick guard on it for a back up. I was playing it one night and saw myself in in one of those big bar mirrors. It looked just like I was playing a penguin. Next day the white one was off and a black on white on black pick guard was on. Looked much better. Made it much easier to trade it in on my Cirrus.
  15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, in that case, "brown" tortise is what I would put on. :)
  16. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Tortoise is winning so far but I don't think it would look good on your bass. Tortoise is a "vintage look" thing. And with that flame maple top you are far from vintage. White pearloid would be the best IMO.