1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

change of heart with flats.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harpguy74, Jan 10, 2012.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    i tried chrome flats awile ago and didnt really like them, tried ghs brite flats and liked them less so i whent back to rounds. i figured i didnt give them a fair try because i only kept them on for a day or 2 so i pulled them out and retried them. still dont really like the ghs but after a few weeks with the chromes i think i might be a changed man. noe i whant to try the labellas. how do they differ from the chromes? more so after they are on for few weeks or longer?

2. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
  3. 2nd for GHS Precision flats. Awesome strings. Both my basses wear these, exclusively.

4. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    +1, no contest. As close to the perfect flatwound string as I've found.

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    LaBellas are THE flat string. When you think of flatwound sound, what you hear in your head are LaBellas - generally on a P Bass.

With that being said, I play Sadowsky Black Label flats, having tried two dozen different strings in the last three months. These had the best combination of thump and zing to me, and they are very low tension, so are easy to play. I've had these on for six weeks now (approximately 120 hours), and they still haven't died. In fact, they have barely mellowed at all, I still have to keep the treble turned down a bit to keep the zing manageable.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    How do the Sadowskys compare/contrast with Chromes?

7. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    LaBellas have known quality control issues, at least lately. GHS might be the safer choice for now.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Sadowskys don't die as quickly as the Chromes, and have (to my ear) a more balanced sound. They are more mid-focused than Chromes on my bass, and have more definition.

YMMV

9. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yep--they are the classic flatwound sound, the "put 'em on a pbass and never change 'em" string. I have some on my Glaub that have been on for probably 6 years now, with lots of use, and they just get better.

Chromes I consider an awesome all-around string. New, they can clang like rounds, and even after they settle never really get the "thud".

10. The GHS PFlats are a great string but mellower and darker sounding than Chromes or Brite Flats. I'm a big fan of GHS strings and I love flats on a PBass if that's what you're playing.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  12. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Amen,brother!

13. And a 3rd for the GHS Pre flats.

14. Which is what I like about them, tone-wise. If I want a brighter sound, I'll just get me some DM Blue Steel rounds.

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I'm a LaBella fan. I haven't tried the GHS Precision Flats yet, but I've personally heard them sound just plain GREAT on another guy's bass. I had to ask what strings he was using.

16. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I hear that more and more about GHS flats ...they're a great string.

17. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Before I got my P-bass I read lots of threads about flats, and the consensus on chromes was: be patient! They come into their own after a few months, and you can keep them on for years. I've had mine on for about a year, and they keep sounding sweeter.