Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Change pickups or preamp?,,please help,,Tobias Toby bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy2, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Hi:

I own a Tobias Toby pro 4string. The output of this bass is extremely weak. If a set the controls flat it has less output than my MIM JAzz, and you all know that MIM J has a weak output. I dont know if the problem is the pickups or the preamp!!!Would like to hear Suggestions.

Any Recommendation of a good pair of Soapbar pickups or a good preamp(volume, blend bass,treble) would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Start by wiring the pickups straight to the output jack (bypassing the preamp) and see how that works.

The original USA Tobias designs used Bartolini electronics.

3. This may sound silly but did you try changing the battery? I assume that this is an active bass.

4. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Thanks Brianrost,,I will try this weekend and see how it works.

Yes Zoomboy,,I change the original battery with a new one and the output is the same.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well.
    After doing my Pickup Homework.. (I have a Tobias Toby Pro 4 )
    I found out that the Toby comes with: Mighy Mite DX5 Pickups, the same found on many Ibanez Basses.
    Ok, so lets get a replacement.
    For Shape and Size we go like this:

Bartolini:
    M4 Shape --- M44 for 4 String Bass
    I would recommend getting the Quad Coil Model in Bright
    That goes: 80M44CX -T for Neck
    80M44CX -B for Bridge

EMG:
    EMG-40 Shape --- EMG-40DC for 4 String
    Dual Coil Humbucker.

This sizes will fit perfectly since they are the same size as the DX5's in the Toby.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Oh I forgot..
    the DX5's are passive type, while EMG's and Bartolini's are active.

7. Bluesnosis

Bluesnosis

Feb 2, 2011
    i upgraded mine with Seymour duncan SSD-5 ( SAME SIZES AS EMG40 ) , and know it sounds amazing !!! and they cost lot less than emg and Barts !!

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I owned and gigged a Toby for years. The pre-amp is it's weak link but the bass was actually pretty nice. I only had to adjust the action once in 9 years. The pickups are fine. Change the pre-amp and you'll be fine. I just plugged into the passive bass input on my amps and I was good to go. I don't think you need to change the pickups.