1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Change string decrease volume?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by badboy1984, Feb 22, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    After trying 3 different type of strings for my 60 Reissue Jazz bass. I finally found my sound.

I started off using Warwick Stainless Steel string (gauge 45) and i didn't like it at all, because it make the bass too bright and too much finger noise also didn't give me that deep low sound i wanted too.

So i put a set of fairly old Labella Deep Talking flats (gauge 45) on and i make the bass sound good. It provide me with that deep thump sound but i have to sacrifice the bright side and slap sound if i use flats.

So i decide to try Nickel Round this time. Bought a set of Ernie Ball Regular (Gauge 50) and i like the sound instantly. It give me that fat deep punch bottom that i love, and also the string is not too bright. Slap sound is pretty decent too. But i notice my volume level is drop after i put the Ernie ball strings on. Was wondering have anyone notice this?

Nothing wrong with the sound but just the volume level drop thats all.

I've drop my bass on the floor on my way back to my car because the zip on the gig bag is broke. but no scratch or dig on the body, everything seems ok. I hope this not cause the volume level to drop =.=

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Those Ernie Balls are nickel. The Labella and Warwick strings are stainless steel. Stainless steel is MUCH more magnetic than nickel. Since your pickups work on the basis of magnetic fields, nickel strings will be significantly quieter than stainless steel strings. However, played acoustically, you should notice little to no difference in volume. It's just how much the pickups are, well, picking up.

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    hmm, i haven't thought of that. This is my second time playing on nickel. All my other basses strung with stainless.

I guess i just crank up the amp for more volume, but i do like the sound from the ernie ball string. I use to hate them but i like them now lol