Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changed my P-bass pickup and now I get hissing and buzzing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bkchang79, Jan 22, 2003.

1. I swapped my EMGs for Fender Original 62' P-bass pickups. I'd have to admit that the tone is puchier and sounds more like a P-bass, but for some reason they're noisy. The buzzing a get is a constant buzz, but goes away when I touch the strings, bridge, pots and when I turn the volume and tone down. When I play the P-bass the buzzing goes away, but I still get a hissing sound and the only way I can solve that is by turning the tone control down. My bass is a MIJ 57 RI with the gold anodize pickguard and badass bridge. This is a new noise and I did not have it when I had my EMGs on.

2. The Buzz is your Ground. When you replaced the pickups you must have grounded them incorrectly or accidently pulled off the contact from the bridge. There should be a wire that goes from the control cavity and attaches to the underside of the bridge.

3. I checked the ground on the bridge end and everything seems to be in place. I soldered the bridge ground to the tone pot just like how Mr. Gearhead from the fender website wanted it.

4. hmm...

I'm out of tricks then, sorry

5. Welcome to the world of passive pickups. After EMGs, the passive '62s are going to sound like a farmyard!

Assuming you have wired everything correctly, the answer is...you are going to have to learn to live with it. It's normal. The only wau you get rid of the buzz is to keep grounding the bass by touching the strings.

I imagine you dial your amp with a lot of top. This will hiss with passive pups in a way that it didn't with the EMGs. You don't need that top, and it will vanish in the mix anyway, so try turning it down.

Buzz and hiss are part of the deal. They come with the sound.

6. I had a simmilar problem when I replaced my pickups and volume pot.
    What it ended up being was the shielded wire that runs from the cable jack to the volume pot overheated melting the insulation between the signal and ground wires. When I replaced it the buzz whent away.

Make sure you didn't over heat any of the wires and melt the insulation off causing a short.

7. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    If it goes away when you touch the strings, then it is a grounding problem. Somewhere along the lines you aren't getting a good ground connection. Make sure everything is alright, and if you can't figure it out, either live with it or find a tech that might be able to check it out for you.