1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changed my strings, action's different - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 21, 2002.

1. When I bought my bass, it had Elixir strings on it and the best (lowest) action I've ever seen. I've had the bass for about 6 months so I decided it was time to change strings (my mistake, the elixirs were actually fine). I had some Ernie Ball's laying around, so I just used them. Well, the action is quite a bit higher, especially closer to the bridge. I don't know the string gauges' difference because I don't know what the Elixir's were.

The question, should I need another set-up after changing strings? I really don't want to have to do it myself, as I know experienced players who have done terrible things to their basses (they say), one even broke the neck on his Grendel. But I do wonder if I could just lower the action at the bridge, and not worry about truss rods and such. It's a neck-thru Peavey Cirrus, so if I break the neck the whole bass is firewood! HELP!

Mark

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that you do need to do a setup every time you change to a different type of strings and this almost always involves tweaking the truss rod in my experience.

I started a quest for lighter gauge strings that sounded great and went from D'Addarios to Thomastiks to Zon etc. Each time there was a big impact on the action. Sometimes you can get away with just changing the height at the bridge - some times I've needed to change the nut slots as well and the truss rod.

I think it is a good idea to learn how to do these simple set up things yourself - you can then get a setup that suits you - most people in shops will do a sort of compromise or generic setup.

There is no problem with adjusting the truss rod as long as you take it gradually and do no more than a quarter turn and let it settle down - say over night. This is being ultra-cautious and means it would be very difficult to do anything to damage your bass.

The main rule is if you are having trouble moving the truss rod - i.e. it's very stiff to turn - then don't do it!

3. thanks Bruce.

Mark