Changed opinion of band afterwards?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Transverz, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Of recently, I've found myself always seeming to become a big fan of bands that I ignored or I swore I'd never like (yes, I am still stupidly immature sometimes) only after watching their DVD or reading up more about them. Anybody else do this?

I remember a year back or so not even giving New Found Glory much thought. Then I watched their DVD and besides the fact that it was really inspiring, I became a big fan (which to me means I actually agreed to buy their CD). Similar thing with Yellowcard...I mean, c'mon, having a violin in a band is just BEGGING for me to not like them. But after visiting their site and reading their history/bio, it was again inspiring and their music started to be appealing.

I think it's the fact that I find myself identifying with these people who are just like everyone else, chasing their goals and dreams. The music just starts to make more sense and is more understandable after that.

Anyone else do this?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I try to keep an open mind about all music now. I use to say this, but not mean this. It use to be if a pop/rap song came on the radio, I instantly assumed it garbage. But everything I was open about. Now if a good song is on, I'll listen to it.

Sadly, with live music, if I hear a band live first and they blow me away, their cd tends to disappoint. The Melt Banana is a perfect example. They were amazing live. On album... they borderline suck.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    It takes a "talented" producer to turn a good live band into sucks-ville! ;)

Odd though...usually I get disappointed with a bands live performance after loving an album. The other way around has to be some kind of an achievement! If it's drastic enough, that is. And usually it's just expectation that becomes a real downer to see a band you've waited forever for to see live, and it was just not cool.

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    For almost 20 years, I could not get with late period Coltrane or any of Miles' '70s electric Jazz-Rock groups/recordings...'bout 10 years ago or so, I read several books about both(it helped that both guys' paths crossed); then I went out & bought some of the recordings mentioned.
    Then I bought even more...
    ...and more & more.

Some of my favourite & oft-visited recordings are the very ones I disliked mucho back in '75.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I tend to agree.
    With respect to Transverz' experience...I know what you're saying; IMO/FME, if a band has players in it, they will sound better LIVE. The recording may not be the 'greatest', but the energy should be up a few notches.
    A band with poseurs in it will sound great on disc & (usually) poor in a live setting.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is how I felt about The Lost Prophets. Great live act, but the CD was a let down, because I'd seen them live first.