1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changed pots in my SX to CTS, volume/tone are now almost on/off

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyRay, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Like the title says, I changed the pots on my SX to 500K CTS (part # PJ0005) and replaced the cap with an Orange Drop .047uf. Run of the mill P-bass with the stock pickup. Did not change the jack since it is in very good condition still.

From 1/2 down on both pots, I get no discernable change, even with the amp at full volume. Is this normal or am I asking too much ?

I really do like the brighter sound with the tone/volume full on. Maybe it's just me wanting to hear things, but it's brighter and clearer than with the old pots, not that there was anything wrong with them except a little scratch.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    do you mean you get no change from 1/2 down to "0", or from 1/2 down to "10"?

are these audio taper or linear taper? i like linear 500ks for passive volumes (when wired right they give a perfectly even sweep), but the tone needs to be audio taper regardless.

is the pickup wired to the middle lug of the volume pot, or the outer lug like it should be?

is the 3rd lug on the volume grounded like it should be?

3. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I like linear for tone and audio for volume. That way I really hear the difference when changing the tone. I did that to my Frankie and the SX is in order.

4. Should be audio pots for both for the smoothest transition. They have a logarithmic increase in resistance as the pot is used, which gives a smooth transition as "volume" scales linearly with an exponential increase in voltage.

5. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Both are audio. The volume is wired right.

6. 5-string Dan

5-string Dan

Feb 23, 2009
    Beacon, NY
    You should definitely try a Linear pot in the volume position. That's what I always use for volume, and it's a nice smooth sweep. The connection is important of course as told by Walter. It's a cheap and easy experiment, and I think it will solve your issue.

7. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I tried the bass again today and the problem wasn't there anymore. Smooth transition from top to bottom :eyebrow:

I messed with the pickup height, so it might have to do with signal strength (I brought the pup closer), but this baffles me.