Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changed strings, fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Apr 29, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Ok... on my stringay 5 i recently switched string brands, and now my B string buzzes. I'm assuming that i should adjust my truss rod, and nothing else, if my action was fine before the string change. Which way does it go? thanks for any input.. it's greatly appreciated.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You may not have to adjust the truss rod. If only the B string is buzzing, try just raising the saddle on that string.

Did you switch from a solid string to an exposed taper core?

Chas

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    i wouldn't mess with the truss rod unless your neck is uncomfortable to play because of its curve, just adjust your action and intonation accordingly with the new strings

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    that may have been it.. i switched from dean Markley Blue steels to EB nickels. I'll check to see if the B is tapered on these and not on those.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Unless you put on the same brand & gauges of strings, you're probably going to have to do a setup of the bass again. Even if you used the same gauge strings but a different brand, there may be a difference in string tension that may possibly require a new setup IMO.