1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changed strings on Mustang bass, G-string problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dtyndall, May 13, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

Really hoping someone can help me diagnose the problem.

I just put on new D'addario flatwounds on my Fender Mustang bass. Installation was fine, the D, A, and E strings sound great. However, my G string sounds terrible. It almost sounds like two strings are being played at once when I strum it.

It doesn't sound in tune even though my tuner says it is. I can also wiggle the bridge saddle left to right, which I never noticed. It looks fine at the nut. I've tried raising the action.

What say you?

2. There's a thread somewhere around here right now that was started with or contains the same issue you're having.....

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's either twisted, too close to the pickup or defective.

96tbird and charlie monroe like this.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Check for twist: Loosen it off and push the ball back away from the tail. See it it rotates as if a twist is released. Then tune it again and see what happens.

5. Ill give that a shot when I get home. I re installed the same string about 3 times yesterday to no avail. It just sounds wrong. Other 3 strings are great...