1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changed to flats and now, deadspots galore

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by elBandito, Mar 29, 2009.

1. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    :meh: Ive been going back and forth between rounds and flats and decided to keep the flats on my p bass. Since the flats have more pronounced bottom end, I noticed some frets on the E and A strings just go 'donk'. Usual deadspots on the g string doesnt bother me too much, but the dead 'D' note on the A string is not something I can overlook. I never noticed too much difference when i had the rounds on, but now, the difference is very audible and I dont even want to play this bass anymore.. :crying:

Deadspot on the A string is different from the G string, as it doesn't die out with lots of harmonics. It sounds like a normal note, but just very quiet compared to other frets, meaning, it doesnt howl like the g string. Is this something that can be fixed? Thanks for reading.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Does it do it with all sets of flats, or have you only used just the one set? Sometimes you will get a dead set of strings or a set that has some flaws.

Try changing the strings to another set of flats if you want to keep flats on it. I had TI Flats on and while I loved them, the D and G strings seemed weak (like all the rounds did). I put on a set of Chromes and all the strings are full an deep sounding.

I've had sets of rounds and flats that just had weird sounds on a particular bass, only to find they sounded great on another. Just try swapping things around. It could be that particular bass doesn't sit well with flats on it.

3. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    I will try putting the hi beams back on to compare. On my A string, it goes boom(1st) boom(2d) boom(3rd) boom(4th) "donk"(5th fret) boom(6th).. and so on. I will start saving for a graphite neck for now.