Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changes in current MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 28, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    For the last few months, I've been drawn like a moth to a flame to a year-old new fretless MIM Jazz up at a local store. I wouldn't buy this particular one, both because I'm not a fan of black basses, and because this one has buckle rash (not from me). I just like the feel and sound.

I see that Fender has changed the MIM "Standard" models for 2001. Can anyone tell me the specific differences between the current, newest MIM Jazz and last year's model? I can't find a definitive rundown on what changed.

I was keeping an eye out for an inexpensive used fretless MIM Jazz, but wonder if there's a good argument for going with the current production model. If I do this, I plan on changing the bridge to a Badass II and modifying it to a string through, replacing the pickups with used EMGs at 18VDC, and putting a more attractive pickguard on it.

Thanks!

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    there already has been a thread about this. One thing is that there is a bridge pickup.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I searched the archives before I posted, and didn't see anything specific. I just looked again, and found a thread that briefly touched on a new pickup configuration, but it didn't sound like anyone had actually gotten their hands on one of the new ones.

Also, in some pictures I'm finding of the revised Jazz, it looks like it has a string-through bridge.

Anybody out there that actually has a brand-new revised Jazz that can comment?

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I don't think the new 2001 basses have even left the factory yet.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    THAT could have something to do with it! Seriously, though, Musician's Fiend shows the Artic White fretless as in stock, with all the other fretless colors and all the fretted versions due 10-1-01. It sounds as if they're in the pipe now.

6. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA