1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changes to 2013 Squier VM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BluesHolyMan, Oct 30, 2013.

1. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    I was just in one of the big box music stores, lets call it Bass Center, and played two different SVM Jazz Basses (Natural finish) there and they are noticeably, and audibly, different. Here is what I can tell changed between 2012 and 2013 models:

- Satin-finished neck on 2012, Vintage stained Poly on 2013
    - Duncan-designed pups on 12, Fender-designed on '13
    - "Duncan-designed" on '12 pup cover, blank on Fender-designed.
    - No sunburst finish in '13 lineup

Sound-wise, the '13 was a much hotter and punchier bass. The '12 sounds quite vintage next to it. I was a little surprised at that. You'd think they were two different basses. Upon further inspection, the Fender-designed pickups have a larger pole than the Duncan-designed ones, which would explain the sound difference. They weren't Quarter-pounder sized, but bigger than the '12 for sure. Possibly a different magnet also, but I haven't been able to confirm. The '12 is suppose to have Alnico Vs in it.

I pulled the trigger on the '12 because it played better. I liked the look of the vintage poly finished neck of the '13, but it just didn't have the mojo. Don't get me wrong, it sounded good, just did not play as well to me as the '12.

All the reviews out there about how great this bass is obviously are for pre-2013 models. Curious to see how the new ones stack up under public scrutiny.

Keep it thumpin' :bassist:
    BHM

2. Both of those necks are poly finish...but the VM Jazz is supposed to be a Satin finish. Hell, the entire VM line is satin finish. Something's off about that '13, unless Fender changed that 1 model. Which would be kind of stupid.

3. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    The '12 I referred to has a serial beginning ICS12xxxxx - perhaps this was a special run of some sort.

4. My PJ from this year has a gloss finish, the Jag & Mustang I have from previous years are both satin. I believe all the new 2013 VMs now have the gloss, from what I've read.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  6. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    jlepre,

How does it sound compared to other Jazz type basses you have played? I listed to the clip and while the bass is very audible, not easy to compare to anything else, just from the clip.

One of the things that drew me to it was that it has a [soft] maple body, which I thought would have a little more punch and tighter low end than an ash/alder Jazz.

Thanks,
    BHM

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have to say compared to a TRUE Fender Jazz it was very close. The only gripe would be that the pots don't have as wide of a sweep, but playing live it wasn't noticeable at all.

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    From reading the descriptions, all the "new model" VMs seem to have a gloss finish, versus the satin.

I've got one of the fretless P's and it has a gloss finish (scrubber padded mine)

Bob