Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changes to the Groove Tools Line.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Oct 28, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Changes to the 4 and 5 string models.. I wonder if Bill's gonna change the 7 string configuration as well?

From the Conklin website:

The GT-4 and GT-5 models were recently updated and improved. New features include Bartolini licensed pickups, a 3-band EQ, and a preset "slap switch" which cuts the mids and boosts the bass and treble response for a wonderful slap and pop tone. The updates also include two trim pots on the back control cavity cover which allow quick adjustments to the instruments overall output (gain) and the amount of slap effect from the "slap switch".
    The instruments control layouts now include a Master Volume, Pickup Blend (front, back or a mix of both), separate Bass, Midrange and Treble controls and the "slap switch".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, basically they took the slap switch electronics from the Cort Curbow basses.

FWIW, I've never really liked that body shape with anything less than 7 strings. It just looks too big and clunky without a landing strip attached to it. :D

Should make somebody happy, though.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i agree with the body shape, however, the rocco prestia model looks pretty darn sweet...cool upgrade! i dig...

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, the Rocco looks pretty frikkin' cool. I think the body has been downsized, though.

5. Yeah.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Are they switching the fingerboard wood as well? That doesn't look like purpleheart to me.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    looks kinda rosewood-ish in that top pic. Isn't that the same layout as the Dicken's model? Wonder if they'll raise the price.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nope. The Dickens is set up with bass (with push/pull boost), middle, treble, volume, pickup selection, and four-position brightness knobs, and a mids-selector switch.

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd rather see them release a 6 string version.

10. Perhaps the reverse will happen. When a new model of a bass that Musiciansfriend carries, MF may drastically cut the price on the older models to make room for the newer ones.

You never know.

Mike

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Might as well just go 7 and be done with it... I played sixes for years and now the additional string(s) is something I can't do without!

12. That's funny the changes they made on the GT!
    I have a GT4 for 4 years now and last year I changed the preamp(GT's conklin preamp was really weak) into a basslines SeymourD 3 bands with push pull to get that slappy sound(which is useless IMO).
    I also planned to get barts or emgs on it but since I got my Fbass I decided to sell this bass.
    We had the same ideas about improvement. Just to say I could work @ Conklin :D
    The only negatives things I can say about this bass is the weight(bloody heavy bass!) and the purpleheart fingerboard get tanned with time and it turned from a great purple to a browny color.

larry

13. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    WHAT ABOUT THE SEVEN???

WHY NOT THE SEVEN???

14. Nice one!

Do you think they still have the Mighty Mite pre-amp? Or have they moved to something different?

If the list price is ballpark the same as it is now then is sets the standards for other mass-produced instruments. These Groove Tools basses are *very* good value for money.

Mike

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    MKS,

I seem to remember that your GT7 got brought over frm the States by a friend. Did you get stung for VAT/import taxes? What sort of figure did the bass set you back in total?

(Might be tempted to try something similar in the future.)

DB

16. David,

I've PMed you the costs etc. rather than post them here on list.

Since GT7's are *hard* to find in the UK (viz the other thread about this) I think it has worked out well to buy in the US and import to the UK. Even allowing for Duty/VAT you can get a lot of bass for your money.

Having just looked though, they seem to have gotten a lot more expensive recently... Or is it just my imagination? I got my second hand GT7 for $800. Sounds like an even better deal just now when Musician's Fiend (sic) are selling them for the "bargain" price of $1299 new. Wow! I saved $500! Result! :D