Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changin the colour - Damage ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMFender, Sep 16, 2004.

1. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    i got a P bass. a MIJ squier.
    would it damage the bass if i change its colour ?
    from black to sunburst.
    (not me but a "so called luthier" in Turkey.)

2. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Absolutely not, if you want to save some money take the pain off yourself with a heat gun, so the tech guy only has to paint it, this will save you 50%. I had a red 2001 Jazz, so I took of the paint, refinished it in natural color, and couldn't be happier. Cost be about $30 of material, but learned a lot ,since this was my first crack and modifying a bass guitar. Of course I don't; know how to paint it, but it wasn't my intension.

Cheers

3. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    thanks for givin me courage.
    do u think its tough to make a vintage look sunburst like this :

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    It shouldn't be a problem for an experienced painter. Fist take off the paint and se how the wood grain looks. You might like it in natural. Mien is 4 piece body, and not the best looking one, but I still like it , plus I know that the paint will never wear off. I used honey colored Varnish, so the body will look slightly darker then the neck. With time the neck will darken and both will be almost the same.

Cheers

5. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    a heat gun?
    where wud u get one of these?
    i think stripping the paint of my ****ty squier and having some fun with it wud let me learn a thing or two about painting instruments.. (im getting a fender jazz for christmas)

also...wat kind of paints and finishes would u use to paint it yourself? (i wudnt try sunburst..but i was thinking of a solid color)

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Heat gun at any Home Depot or Home Hardware store, cost about $30, I had one already since I use it to change blades on my Hockey shafts. I bought Varnish Honey colored satin Polyurethane. removed the previous finish with a sander, that i borrowed from my friend, then applied about 5 coats of Polyurethane each 24 hours and sanded between coats. You don't have to remove the finish under the paint, you could just spray paint over it. I have no clue about paints, so maybe someone else can help you out. My guess is you'll need an air paint gun to get the best results, which means you'll need to find an air compressor.

Cheers

7. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Take a look at this website: www.reranch.com. It tells you all you need to know on do-it-yourself refinishing. It was a great help to me when I decided to strip and repaint a no-name P Bass that a friend gave me. They also sell the paints and refinishing products on this site as well. However, you could pretty much find everything you need at local hardware and paint stores. Good luck. It's a very fun project.

8. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    thank u allll :)

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I sanded the paint off my squier... that took me and a friend all day...

The shilaque (sp?) took much longer...

Its purty stained brown now. and fretless...

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  11. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity