Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing a 2x15 cab to 2x12: Possible or illogical?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CzarMike, Mar 14, 2004.

1. I have a great empty Traynor 2x15 cab and two brand new celestion greenback speakers; if I cut it a new face panel, would the cab work well with these speakers? I don't know if it would be bassy enough for my rig, but maybe it would make a neat gift for my band's guitarist, or a cab to handle my mids in a bi-amp rig? I'm trying to come up with some ideas on how to get some of my misc parts pile into use.
    Ideas?
    Rawk on,
    mik3

2. If the Traynor bass cab is in good shape, might be a shame to cut it up and try to re-engineer it.
    The Celestions you're referring to are basically guitar amp speakers, right? Well, you might end up doing more engineering and redesign than simply making a new mounting plate to mount the 12s.

Another idea would be to find another smaller guitar cab. I know that Avatar sells cabinets alone without speakers for reasonable prices. Here's a link..

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

They use Celestion in many of their guitar cabs, so they might be just what you're looking for.

Good luck..

Mag...

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Cabinets are typically designed for a particular speaker. Putting different speakers in a cabinet will usually not result in the best sound.

4. 1st of all, are the Celestions for guitar or bass? I'm thinking maybe guitar and if they are for guitar, they are not designed for bass and will probably really suuuuuck. To be honest, you can put a guitar speaker in just about any-old box and it will sound OK. (to a point) But, bass speakers are very picky about the size and design of the cabinet you put them in. Get it wrong and it will really (well you know :spit: ). I'd see if I could sell those green backs and get some 15's designed for that cab. JMO.

5. As the old dude who is sick of hauling huge cabs, consider offing the entire thing. A 2x15 has to be pretty large.

Replace it with separates, a pair of 1x12, etc. Smaller to move and more configuration options.

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Funny cause a friend of mine has an old traynor 2x15 also (I use to use it for my rig).. and now that I am no longer using it he mentioned maybe modifying it to accomidate 2-12" speakers and use it for his guitar rig. IMO it would be an unwise decision. Its too tall of a cabinet (although not very bulky) but it just seems like there would be alot of wasted space + it is a good old cabinet to hold onto. It is nice and small and portable for a 2x15, I like that cab alot.

7. It's easy. Just take a piece of plywood and use a jig saw to cut 2 rings which match the outside diameter of the 15 inch speaker. Then cut the inside to match the hole cutout of the 12 inch speaker. Now bolt this ring up to the cabinet, add the new 12 inch speakers, and you're done.

But like other posts have noted, why lug around the weight of a 2x15 cab? Believe me, I have three of them, and they're not light.

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Actually the traynor YT-15 isn't a very heavy cab.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, i've got a TS-50B bottom too. Someone threw some stamp-framed Sanyo 15's in it. It's really light and small (for a 2x15). Mine does not fart out at all. The low end is great, but the mids/highs really suck. It's like adding instant balls to any rig. I think you should keep using it, but just ebay the Greenbacks and get some 15's for it.

11. Yep, I conveniently forgot to mention that the new 12 inch speakers may not sound worth a crap in the old cab. One could take the Thiele-Small parameters of the new speakers, measure the cab dimensions, and plug the numbers into WinISD to see how well they'll do.

Of course, when I made my first set of speakers many years ago, T-S parameters hadn't been "invented" yet. I used plans out of a book and stuck in some speakers from an old record player, hoping for the best. (I sure wish I still had the old tube amps that were in there). They worked, but nobody knew much about tuning speakers with cabinets back then.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Illogical.

-Mike

13. The cab I am looking at gettting is the TS 2x15, originally matched with the TS 50B, and this is the only info I could find on it. If the cab has the originals in it (80 watts total @ 8ohms), what are good replacements. I do not have the cab dememsions, hopefully a current owner can help out. This may not be worth it after you factor in replacement costs, but I am always on the look out for budget gear.

Thanks,
    -Joe

14. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i would give those speakers to your guitar player. if i made a list of "12's most unsuitable for bass" greenbacks would be in the top 5. i don't particularly care for them for guitar either but some love them. if you want a 215 get an old peavey. one can be had for less than the cost of revamping that cab, and the result will be better. (much better)

if the greenbacks are in good shape you can get a few bucks for them on ebay, maby 40-50 bucks per. (enough to buy a used ev12l which will totally stomp both those greenbacks, one at a time or both at once. ok end guitar rant)

good luck.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Most cabs are severely undersized for the drivers they contain, so swapping out to twelves might get you not only the better midrange of twelves but a better bottom end as well. The key word is 'might', as noted by others the cabinet must be matched to the drivers for a good result. Greenbacks being guitar specific drivers wouldn't work well at all.

16. Geez guys, the OP's question was from 2004... I brought this back so I could try and find dimesions to determine a good replacement speaker as I have found this cab for sale but need more than 80 watts.

Bill, I heard using a standard radiator designed cab will not work well with your design, is that right? So, your cab or the radiator, right?

17. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender Supporting Member