Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing a bridge on a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Oct 23, 2004.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm thinking of changing the bridge out on my fretless. It's the only thing on this bass that seems kinda cheap. One of the saddles is slightly bent but it doesn't affect the tone or intonation.

I'm a little worried that if I change the bridge I'll have problems getting the intonation right on the new bridge. Anybody out there have experience doing this sort of job.

[​IMG]

2. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you but rather a question.

What kind of bass is that - it looks very nice!

3. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    It's a Hohner Professional fretless jazz. It's a great bass and only cost me $200. I was in the market for a fretless and I really wanted a white bass with tort guard. I got lucky when I found this.

Here's a link if you'd like to check out more pics:
    http://vintagebass.us/fljazz.html

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That is indeed a fine lookin' bass. As for setting up intonation, it's not really that hard at all. Just move the saddle until the 12th-fret harmonic matches the 12th-fret note. Use an electric tuner. If you aren't comfortable doin' it, find someone who's done it before to help ya out.

It should be even easier (or rather, more negligible) on a fretless since you have to intonate notes on the fly anyway.