Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing a combo for head/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sako, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm thinking about changing my 80 lbs. combo for a head/cab for ease of getting up and down the stairs.

I currently have a Fender 400 Pro (2 10's and a horn). It's 350w and will go to 500 with an optional 15 cab. It has great mid shaping capabilities and a builtin compressor. I love it, but not carrying it. I'm thinking about getting an Avatar 210 and a Carvin RL1000 head, then in the future, add another 210. I picked the Carvin and Avatar for features, quality, as well as price -- and price is important.

Anyone have any comments on this set up or have other suggestions?

2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I always say this, and I mean...
    Mesa Walkabout Scout;-)

Jason

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you like the sound, I'd check out the Fender head. Other than that, what do you play, what sound do you like?

4. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Awesome. I'm actually trying to rid myself of my combo (Peavey TNT115) and get just about the same thing you're looking at. Avatar 2x10 and the Carvin RL1000.

thanks in advance, everyone

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    yes, i thought about that -- its an option. i also figured i might try for a bit more power -- like the Carvin has. something great for practice, but add a cab for playing small to medium venues.

I play mostly blues rock, but stuff like Stevie Ray, Eric Clapton, Govt Mule, Zep, Pink Floyd, old ZZ Top.

hey pause, i also have a TNT.

6. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone else have any thoughts on the Avatar 210 and a Carvin RL1000 or any other possible good but inexpensive combinations?

7. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    whaa? and I've also got a Fender Jazz with a BadAssII bridge...

similar bass, same amp. looking at the same amp/cab configuration. what's going on here? :p

bump!

8. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, I'm freaking out right now!

Hey, Pause, just read some reviews on Harmony-central.com on the Carvin RL1000. Overall, not too good.

9. o.rion.5

o.rion.5

Oct 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own a Carvin R600, it was a really good amp. I used for practice, rehersal, and shows for over three years and got a lot of compliments on the sound. However, I currently have a B1500 and would recommend the B series over the R series. The B1500 is huge as far as power goes, I replaced an Ampeg SVT-5 with it, and it's easily louder, so I would imagine that the B500 would be plenty for just about anything.