Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing a Gotoh to a Badass bridge on a Flea Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nathan, Jan 4, 2005.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    If I bought a Modulus Flea bass with a Gotoh bridge and I wanted to change it to a Badass bridge, how hard would that be? Would any new holes have to be drilled? Also, what about changing the preamp from a bartoline to an aguilar OBP-1? thanks

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The only thing a Badass will do that the Gotoh won't is hurt the resale value. As to the preamp, you'd have to hear both preamps to decide for yourself. Neither is "better" than the other.

3. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    You have a good point, but I have heard them And I've decided on these components, so would it be easy to change them? The main thing I'm worried about is the bridge chainging, would I have to drill new holes?

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    All preamps next to MEC's are easy to replace. What's wrong with the Gotoh bridge?

5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    The electronics in my Streamer LX need replaced. Figures this would be harder than other jobs. :(

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The MEC circuit in BO Thumbs is easy to change out.

7. the Gotoh 201 (got one on a yamaha) uses the same Fender-style 5-screw mounting as the BadassII(got one on a warmoth P bass), so it should be a simple swap.

the badass is quite a bit heavier.

8. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Why do you want to do that, anyway? Just curious.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Wow i think i would stick with the gotoh! But if you do go with the badass then please dont get a black one! Didnt take long for the black to start falling off one that i had! :bawl:

10. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    how would replacing a gotoh bridge with a badass II hurt the value of the bass. a badass is the best bridge for a flea bass. i have them on both my flea basses. its the bridge recommed by modulus on all custom flea bass orders. gotoh briges seem to move around after a while. when i replaced the gotoh with the badass i have never put a tool on either bass in two years!!! i dont think that having a $85.00 bridge insted of a $20.00 will hurt the value. but what do i know?!?!?

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What will adding the badass II do for the sound of the Flea? I know the badass adds sustain but doen't the Modulus already have enough of that? What else will it do for the bass? Thanks, MArc