Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing a headstock shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Hey guys - is it possible for an experienced luthier to change the shape of a headstock?I'm gonna get crucified for this I know but I wanna change the shape of my 5 string Spector to the shape (as much as one can)of the 4 string.It would seem to me (as the neck is 3 piece) to just fill the string tree holes,saw the sides,attatch the new wood and then shape and finish.
    I realize people are gonna say "why change it?".I dunno.Just one of those personal picky things and Stuart wont do it - not even on his US custom models.
    Anyone out there with opinions?
    Thanks.

2. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    i just found a picture of a 5-string spector but with a headstock shape more similar to that of a 4-string spector:

[​IMG]

...it's one of the cheaper 'performance' series spectors...thought it might be able to help when reshaping the headstock if you decide to go ahead with it.

take care

Si

3. Yes, it is possible. I've done just this thing on one of my "interpreted" necks. My approach is to try to leave the areas that hold the tuners alone because that wood is directly linked to the rest of the neck and makes the strength in the neck. I then trim the rest off in a shape that is easy to glue "wings" back on. Then the headstock is reshaped and then a laminate applied to both front and back to cover any differences in the new materials. Of course some shapes will lend themselves to this better than others.

4. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    A guy I know changed the shape of his guitar (fender strat clone) headstock into something similar to Jackson style. Just to add, he also changed the pu's from singles to humbuckers and added some active elctronics. That was pretty cool!

5. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    It doesn't seem like you'd even be able to turn the tuners on the left side, it looks like they're almost touching in the pic.

6. LOL, I wanted to do the complete opposite - put a 5-string head on a 4-string Spector. I find the standard Spector "Paddle" just clashes with the rest of the bass. Tell you what, chop your head off, mail it to me and I'll send mine by return ;)

:rollno: :rollno: :rollno: