Changing a neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Min. (I can do it)

7 vote(s)
  2. Alot (Take it somewhere and do it)

4 vote(s)
  1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    How would I change the neck on my P-Bass from the wood one to a Status Graphite one? Is it as easy as unbolt/ take off/ place new one/ rebolt?
  2. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    From reading what was on their site, although the neck is made to fit perfectly, it needs to have the bolt holes drilled and the nut finished. If you can do that, go for it, but I say take it to a luthier.

I'd never heard of them before tonight, but I don't like the shapes they use, other than P and J copies and strangely enough the Buzzard model. Their necks look pretty good, though.
  3. It's pretty easy. All you need is a drill bit a little smaller than the neck screws, some masking tape and a fair bit of patience. The neck mounting part is a snap.

First, measure the drill bit and put a piece of masking tape around the bit a tiny bit higher than the screw would be - if they're 2" screws, wrap a piece of tape maybe 2 1/16" up the drill bit - so you'll know when to stop drilling :eek: Measure from the underside of the screw head to the tip of the screw.

Then, set the neck in the body and flip the bass over. Make sure everything is squared up - a clamp can help here - but pad the jaws so you don't goober up your bass' finish :D

Making sure you're drilling perpendicular to the bass body, just run the drill down the existing holes - but make sure you stop at the masking tape you put on the drill bit earlier.

You might want to have the nut work done at a shop - but only because it requires tools a few people don't have. You need a buncha different-sided round files and a bit of patience if you want to do it yourself.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't get it. Why do I have to drill it? Won't there be like 4 new holes then? This confused the heck out of me. See I would take it somewhere but for me that means driving like 40 miles to the store....
  5. Status necks come undrilled. From their website:

"All models have a super tough insert in the base of the neck so they may simply be drilled and screwed to the instrument. This ensures the best possible fit. All necks are designed to suit 3, 4 and 6 screw fixing."

6. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    You might want to reread what is on their site, just so you aren't confused on things when you buy it. You'll want to know exactly what your getting for that much money. If you are concerned about not being able to do it without damaging the neck, I'd suggest the long drive to the nearest luthier. At least that way it'll be done right.

More than likely, they make their necks to fit a variety of instruments, and there is a lot of variety when it comes to the bolt placement and sometimes even the number of bolts. So they just leave them undrilled to fit the greates number of instruments possible.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently changed a rosewood FB neck on my Jazz Bass to a Mightymite solid maple Fender style neck. I had to finish the neck with clear lacquer, drill the bolt on holes, install the tuning keys, bolt on the neck to the body, set up the action, and intonate the bass. it can be done.

Ofcourse, this was a beat up old early 80s bass, so I wasn't afraid of screwing it up. I might consider taking it to a luthier if it was pristine 60s Jazz, or a high end custom bass.