1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing a Passive to Active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beezo, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Beezo

Beezo

Jul 29, 2012
    Camden,SC
    I bought a cheap 5 strings passive bass. I want to change it to active but the slots aren't big enough for an active eq with battery. Is there any way that I can get the wood cut to fit the active eq? If so where? Thanks:bassist:

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It's a very simple job for a good luthier. Filling out your profile would make it easier for someone to recommend someone in your area.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The mod will end up costing more than the bass. You would be better off (IMO) snagging a decent external preamp pedal which could be used bass-to-bass...that is if you have more than one bass.

Edit: that wasn't very helpful given the question. Any skilled tech could do the job.

Riis

4. Beezo

Beezo

Jul 29, 2012
    Camden,SC
    Thanks guys, I'm a beginner but I like the color of the cheap bass that I bought, I haven't seen anything else remotely close to it.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Your SR300? Looking at a photo, the control compartment looks like it might be pretty big and have room for the preamp and battery.

To add a preamp (and make the bass active) you don't even need to change the pickups.

Edit: Since an SR300 is a 4 string, I suspect that's not what we're talking about here. What 5 string do you have?

6. Beezo

Beezo

Jul 29, 2012
    Camden,SC
    My SR300 is active but I'm looking to the future. My 5 string doesn't have a name. I got it off ebay for $60. I like the feel of the neck, color is a cherry sunburst. But you can tell it was made with the bare minimum. I like to be different than others, in having a no name brand guitar with a name brand sound. If that makes sense.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Basslines blackout stacked 2band preamp. It replaces your passive tone control and takes up the same amount of room as it. You just need room for the battery. Perhaps sitting on top of the middle volume pot part with peice of foam cusion under it. The soft foam of whatever type keeps battery when sliding about loosely. And prevents any possible contact of battery clip from other electronics.

8. I would go with an EMG pup set, the preamps in the pups and the volume and tone pots come with it. No wood cutting required.

9. Beezo

Beezo

Jul 29, 2012
    Camden,SC
    Thanks for your help.