1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing a pick guard on my Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Sadowsky Basses' started by The Butler, May 6, 2010.

1. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys,
    I have two guards for my Sadowsky. I am wanting to put the tort guard on her. I have removed all the screws but the guard ain't moving. I don't want to pry to hard to get it off.

Just don't want to mess up the finish or break the guard that's on the bass.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Damn. Be careful. Ive had the same thing happen on old Fenders.

Rob

3. Steve, FWIW, I did this on my Metro U/V....swapping the white guard with a pearl one. It was very snug under the fingerboard and, of course, around the pickup. I lifted gently and slowly, and once I cleared the pickup, the guard came right off. I hope that helps...good luck.

4. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Jerry,
    I will give it a shot.

5. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Jerry,
    U r a genius. It worked. Got the tort guard on her. She looks beautiful.

Only problem is now 2 of the screws are stripped. I was extremely careful to not over tighten them. Used a small hand screwdriver. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    I am really OCD about my basses. I use them on gigs but am just extremely careful with them. I Just got this one & haven't even had her on a gig yet.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You're referring to the screw holes and not the actual screws, right? If so, I'd use a small piece of toothpick along with wood glue (careful, not too much). Others may well have better ideas.

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Toothpicks work great

Rob

8. You can get used toothpicks for cheap on Craigs List.

9. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the help. I will try the toothpicks. Do i still need the wood glue? do u just break the toothpick off into the hole & put the screw in? and yes it is the screw holes that are stripped not the screws.

10. Fuzzbass

Yes, just break off a piece and insert. You might not need glue!

11. What I have done which might be overkill:

shave and/or cut toothpicks to size
    use wood, Elmers, or even Gorilla glue (just a little, the latter will expand)
    let it set about 1 hour
    drill hole smaller than wood screw both in length and diameter

screw in screws

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Just pop a piece of toothpick in there and it will be good to go... usually...

13. Fine advice above. Another FWIW from me... For repairs like this I actually like to mix sawdust with a bit of Elmer's wood glue, and then use that toothpick (bought on Craigslist, of course :D) to blend and completely fill the hole. You can tape/paper off the area around, but it's no biggie - the finish is stout and you can wipe off any dust/glue residue with a damp towel. Let it sit for awhile, and be extra cautious with the screwdriver, and you'll be fine.

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, gotta get them on ebay or craigslist!! LOL

Rob

15. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Are you saying the screw head slot (hole) is stripped? If so DON"T try to screw it back in. Hardware stores specialize in matching.With the NEW screw, twist it across a bar of hand soap to lube the threads prior to replacing. It'll make your life SO much easier when repeating your pg swap.
    All the best bro.
    PS: I should have read the following posts. Good advice regardless.

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Don't tell me, let me guess.

You have a chambered body and the striped screws are along the bottom edge.

A couple of those holes are over the chambering so the wood there is pretty thin. The tooth pick thing doesn't really work because the hole is bottomless. It's kind of "an issue".

The best thing I've found so far is to just stick a paper match into the hole, put the screw in then remove the end of the match that's exposed when you're done.

17. Fuzzbass

Wow... it never dawned on me that this would be a side effect of chambering, but it makes sense. Thanks for the clever workaround!

18. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Steve,
    U r correct. It is the two lowest screws on the pickguard. I haven't tried anything just yet. I appreciate the advice. I will let everyone know the outcome.

19. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I still haven't tried anything. I was hoping Roger or someone from the shop would have a solution they have used.