Changing a stain / translucent paint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by krovx, Sep 23, 2019.

1. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Basically I finished a guitar in the same stain for a bass (cost effective) and now I am really wishing I went with the white. My father'n'law is worried that the stain is soaked into the wood and it might be very hard to change at this point.

Curious what you experts think. I remember not finding a white stain when I looked. Translucent white would be awesome to see the great grain on this ash body.

Wondering what my options would be at this point?
    I used General Finishes orange water based (one coat) and then a water based satin (3 coats?)

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.52.59 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.52.52 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.52.42 AM.jpg

chupacerveza and Beej like this.
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    A few light applications of white milkpaint would do what you want. Then a clear coat on top to protect it.

But for that you would have to sand all the existing finish off completely.

krovx and chupacerveza like this.
  3. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I agree with what @HaMMerHeD says

I'd like to add to this:
    Because you stained ash, and ash has a very porous grain, you will have to sand very deeply to get ALL the stain out. I would say it's not worth the effort to sand that deep.
    However, with ash, when you sand off a surface stain like yours, the grain is actually enhanced by leaving stain in the deep pores.

My only concern would be if the color of the stain left in the pore detracts from the whitewash. I think chances are low.

krovx and chupacerveza like this.
  4. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like translucent is out of question without some weird orange tint coming through. The milkpaint would cover the partially sanded stain?

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Well if you put enough on, yes. But that's not really the point of milkpaint. It's designed to go on light for translucent finishes. I dont think it will be impossible to get the color out of thoae big ash pores. A card scraper works really well for that, as long as the surface finish is sanded away.

krovx likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022