Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing a top-load MiM Fender Jazz to a thru-body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craig_man_10, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I have a MiM Jazz Deluxe wityh a top-load bridge and am thinking about changing it to a thru-body.

1) What significant tonal improvements would i get?

2) How would i go about this? (if possible at all)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Leave the bass be, I have the same bass as well as MIA basses that are strung through the body and believe me there is not much of a difference. You may not notice any tonal difference to warrant such a modification that may not come out right. What are you trying to achieve by doing this?

3. Leave the bass alone, as there will not be any significant tonal changes at all.

If you wanted to do it, you would have to consult a professional luthier who could install a new bridge, and route holes for the the string ferrules.

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I agree, not worth the change, but if you do it you need to:

1. Plug old bridge mounting screw holes

2. Locate new bridge and drill new mounting holes

3. Drill holes in body for strings

4 Counter bore string holes and press in string ferrules.

It's pretty hard to get the string holes to line up and look right on the back side of the body.

Some measurement tools and a drill press are required to make this modification but if you are handy with tools and have a drill press it's not super difficult.

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Without having the quality (read: the origin) of the thread starter's instrument being an issue, I'd like to know what changes the folks at Fender expected to achieve with this design. It's not something I'd try at home with a hand drill, but it seems any good (experienced with this sort of thing) luthier could do the work.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No tonal improvements to speak of. But a cool look to the back of the bass. Also, it will be more difficult to find strings (you need -xtra long- strings for the additional length). Fender strings (which I personally love) seem to always have enough length for this design.
    I don't know how you would, but I would go to my local luthier and ask them to do the work. They will drill holes in the body, add ferrules, and either drill holes in the existing bridge or replace the bridge. If it's a typical Fender bent metal bridge I'd recommend just drilling holes in it.

7. I wouldn't bother. There is no significant tonal difference.