1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing Bands, Decisions Decisions...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All,

I'm in a bit of a spot right now and hoping you can give me some advice. I've been playing in a project for about a year now or so. We did some gigging early on but then went through a few singers and guitarists. We have had steady members now for a few months or so. Up until a couple of weeks ago, most of guys having been coming to practice but were lazy in doing individual practice at home. Seemed like we were going nowhere for the last 60 days. Got on them for several practices damn near begging all of them to practice more (which really did not happen).

At that point I started looking at other local bands looking for bass players. In searching the ads, it appears that there is a REAL shortage of bass players here in town. Pages of ads of bands looking for bass players and comments like "where are all the bass players in Maryland" or "Are there any bassists in this town". So good news is, if you can play in this town, you got a job. Anyway, I found one band that was doing some gigging that fit my genre of music and auditioned. They offered me the job on the spot, but it didn't feel right so I turned it down. So here is where it gets complicated.

I found another band that has a lot of local notority and good rep as being real good (I never saw them though) who was looking for a bass player. I setup an audition with them for the end of the month. RIght after that, I felt guilty with my current band and told them that I am seriously considering leaving and they better step it up or I'm gone. I truly expected them not to step it up but somehow they have over the past couple of weeks and one of the guys even lined up a couple of gigs.

So I have an audition at the end of the month with the new band and I now have gigs lined up with the current band. The current band is sounding better, but I would guess that they probably won't ever be quite at the level of the new one. One other factor is that the new one is going to be a bit more demanding of my time and I still have a lot of family stuff going on (two young hockey players that have more demanding schedules this season than anticipated, etc). I'm killing myself stressing over this. What to do?!?!?

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I say audition, but stay in your first band. If you don't get a warm fuzzy with the new band, then you have your answer. If you feel the new band is more you, do that. It's too early to make the decision, IMHO.

As for hockey, the season should be over by now and not be ramping up again until fall timeframe (unless they go to hockey camps during the summer).

3. Quadzilla

On the hockey subject, I failed to mention that it's roller hockey. They just finished ice and they do roller in the spring and fall and then move back to ice in the winter... Thanks for the advice White!!! Anyone else??

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Keep the audition and switch bands if it turns out to be a better fit. Sounds like your current band just stepped it up to keep you from quitting. Do you think it will last?

5. Quadzilla

Yeah, you hit it on the head. They stepped it up just to keep me from quitting (they even said so). As stated earlier, bass players here in the Baltimore area are in VERY high demand and they know it will be very hard to get another if not impossible if they don't have their sh1t together. I REALLY like the guys I'm with now. Everybody gets along and there are no egos (a tough find in a band). A few of them are just kind of lazy which is a big issue for me but they are working very hard at the moment. Will it last??? Don't know. I'm hoping that if I do end up staying and we get some gigs under our belt, it would energize them into keep the practice pace up. If not, I guess I'll be looking again.

Then again, I may really like this new band and go with them (if they even take me as there apparently are others auditioning). Man, why did I get myself in this jackpot (because my band members were lazy that's why :D ). The better question is why did they have to pick up the pace and foil my plan!:confused: :D