Changing bass guitar into synth bass drum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Our latest cover tune is Pink - Just Like a Pill. Listen to that synth bass drum on the verse. What type of effect pedal can change my bass into a synth bass drum so I can play that part?

Download the song here:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You're not going to get that from any effect pedal. The only way you can do it is to get an actual midi-synth pickup like the one Peavey used to make, run through an actual synth or drum machine module as a trigger. IMO, it won't be financially worth it, as that route is quite expensive.

If you really want to reproduce that sound, get an actual synth and trigger it with the keys.
  3. There are two different pedals that will do what you're after...but they can be hard to find. I've seen recent (can't remember brand) versions of them as well.

1) Boss PC-2 percussion synthesizer.
    2) Electro-Harmonix Space Drum

Dunno much about the Space Drum, but i've got a PC-2. They've got a piezo sensor as well as an instrument input, with sensitivity control (so you can hit it with a foot or stick; pop it inside the kickdrum; plug an instrument into it). It's effectively a single VCO analogue synth with some variable sweep, decay and LFO options. Plug the bass into the input, set the Sens., and pluck away. It's also dynamics sensitive so the decay and sweep times are effected by how hard you dig in.

Boss also made another pedal called the HC-2 Handclapper - the same deal, even with dodgy reverb built in!
  4. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Conklin has a custom option to get a MIDI out :D

Some expensive *bleep* :)

Moderator EDIT: please, slang is still cursing.