1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing Bogner Cube 1x12 to Bass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bwade, May 3, 2010.

1. bwade

bwade

Mar 31, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Hi,

I've thinking of converting a Bogner 1x12 cube (currently has a vintage 30 driver) into a Bass cabinet and I'm wondering if this is a good idea.

My bass amp is an Acoustic Image Coda III (300w @4 ohm) and
    this would be an extension cabinet for this amp.

Any suggestions as to a lightweight speaker..for this...I'm thinking of an Eminence 12LFC

or a Beyma 12G40..

and is the Beyma really worth twice the price?

I also have a Marshall 1936 Cab 2x12.. and am also thinking of converting this cab for bass..

Is this even a good idea? Is it a better idea to sell them both and get a bass cab...

I really want something light if possible... and have my eye on the Markbass Club cabinets that are coming down the pike..
    but I have no idea when they will hit the US market...any idea on that.

TIA

2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    Sounds like a bad idea to me.

3. I hane no experience of the Bogner but I have found in general guitar cabinets tend to have too little volume to make a good bass cabinet.

Paul

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

And by "volume," Paul means cubic inches, not loudness. They're too small.

Get a bass cab.

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Yep. Sell it to a guitarist- and put up the hack saw.

6. bwade

bwade

Mar 31, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Ok,

I think I get the drift here... so.. essentially...100% think that this is a bad idea..

Nice little cabinet..but not for bass..I'm getting convinced..

Thanks all

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It could sound good at low volumes - like in the studio or something, but I doubt it'll be giggable as a bass rig.

I ran a 66 P bass through a Bogner Shiva guitar head and 2x12 (guitar cab :bag:) once, for like 5 minutes, and it was SUPER PUNCHY! Sounded amazing - but it wasn't cranked up either - at ALL actually.