1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing Bow Balance

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Violen, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Any suggestions? tricks? Perspectives?

I have an inexpensive carbon fiber bow, and it will be fall before i can really think about upgrading. I feel like it's a little tip heavy, any suggestions on how to make it balance better?

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Rubber band.

3. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Golfers use a kind of lead tape, try that.

4. Violen

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Anyone else want to weigh in? im not sure if the above guys are being serious or not.

5. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    i know a guy who used a small crutch tip on the screw of his german bow for a while until he had a weighted screw made. worked great.

6. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    the silver wrapping close to the frog adds weight. I saw a bow recently that had a thick rubber band wrapped around that area. i suppose the purpose had more to do with the grip, but it might add weight as well.
    some screws are made out of silver, gold, etc. sometimes very little weight makes a huge difference.

7. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    the golfers lead tape is the way. they make lead tape for tennis rackets too. It doesn't look the prettiest but i prefer it to changing the wire wrap. Also with the tape you can add it to the end screw which allows you to change the balance with less weight than if you added the weight on the stick closer to the balance point.

8. Violen

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Ok, so i have the how, and i know we are in subjective land but,

What are common balance points?

Why do people choose them?

What about Tip vs. Frog?

Help me out here!

9. Depends on the stick too much, you just have to try it.

10. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    Thw way I was taught was to slacken the hair so the frog is foward in the mortise then find the balance point (where it balances on your finger but something like a pen gives you a little more acurate measurement). Measure the distance from the balance point to the end of the stick (not the end of the screw adjuster). On bass bows the range is around 8.5 to 8 inches for a french bow, and can be a little less for german, like 8.5 to 7.5 inches. That tends to be the area that still gives you good control for bouncing bow stuff. How that helps.