Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing Cab speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Evilash, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Evilash

Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    I have an Avatar B212 cab thats 8 ohms. If I change out the speakers to 4 ohm speakers does that make the cab a 4 ohm cab? Or are their other factors that go into the ohm rating. Thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you have a 2x12 that's 8 ohms chances are 50/50 the drivers are 4 ohm. The other option is that they are 16 ohm See:FAQ.

3. I have only ever seen 4ohm and 8ohm Delta 12LF speakers, when I was looking for a pair; of course Avatar would get thier's from the factory no doubt, so they may well be 16ohm speakers.

Chances are if your cabinet is 8ohm they would be 2 x 4ohm speakers wired in series, or 2 x 16ohm speakers wired parallel. To change the cabinet to 4 ohm you'd simply need to take them out and replace them with 2 x 8ohm speakers and wire them in Parallel. 8ohm Delta 12LF's are pretty easy to find I got my at www.usspeaker.com adn they shipped them, at my cost to Australia for me and all :hyper: Places that do that are few and far between unfortunatly.

Changing the oevrall cabinet impedence would mean you would need to change the crossover impedence I believe. Dave at Avatar should be able to hook you up with a stock 4ohm crossover.

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    With a normal crossover this is true. You'd have to change the crossover out for one designed to work at the new impedence, however I'd bet the crossover used in these cabs is only a HPF for the horn. As such, it won't need to be changed. Be sure to call and ask, but that is my hunch.

Lee

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Correct, Avatar does not use a crossover, just a single cap to provide minimal protection for the tweeter. A true crossover isn't really necessary as the woofers are rolling off acoustically by the time the tweeter kicks in anyway, but a good HP filter should be used. Find the thread on the subject by Lovethatbass, who can set you up.