Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing Dunlop Straplocks??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, May 19, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I go to buy a new set of JD straplocks (since my current set has a bad habit of slipping out at the worst time) do I need to replace the "nipple" part our the "ferrul" part in the bass. I'd prefer tho leave the ferrul alone if I can. Basically, anyone had to do this before? And is it just the nipples w/ the ball bearings that wear out???:confused:

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had to replace the part on the bass, not the strap. I believe they wear out first. Why don't you just turn the strap around (use the other "nipple") and see if it still slips???

3. thats why i use schallers....

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good idea, it worked for about six months, thanx anywho.:D

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd love to go that route but the "ferrul" end is recessed into the bass (the ONLY thing I hate about some warwicks:mad: ) I stared a thread a while back on how to go from the JD's to the schallers but didn't get much feedback, so if you've got any ideas let me know.:D

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    To go from an in-nie to an out-ie I'd think filling the hole with a wood dowel and some glue. Go for a reasonably tight fit. When it dries, drill a pilot hole for the new screw. Use a felt washer under the strap pin.

I just switched the Dunlop hardware from my old leather strap to a new Levy leather strap. I've been using the old strap and the original Straplok hardware to attach to multiple basses... since 1984.

I can't understand the appeal of the Schaller system.

7. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    Schallers... you'd never have to worry again...

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me either. I have seen more people with Schallers drop an instrument than Dunlops. As long as you make sure that the lock is in good, a Dunlop will never come loose.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Brad, don't you think asking someone to take a full minute out of their time every 1-2 years to spray a bit of liquid teflon on the strap lock is a bit much to ask?

With schallers, I gather there is no need for such high upkeep.

Chas

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yes, that does sound excessive:)

I've had my original Dunlop locks since 1984 and have done zero maintenence. It's been used almost daily since then.

11. I'll give you some reasons:

1. Fewer moving parts - fewer to break, wear out, loose, or just plain fiddle with.

2. Positive support, even with the main spring-loaded pin not working.

3. The bass can still be used with a conventional strap - a trait that isn't appreciated until it's needed.

4. Simplicity of installation.

5. Lower cost (though this might not be true everywhere)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I had problems with my Dunlop not holding true. In fact, I once got clobbered in the ear by my Fodera headstock. It bled for about an hour. This was a bit embarrasing as I was teaching lessons at the time.
    Here is a quote from the Dunlop web site

http://www.jimdunlop.com/straplok/slsinstall.htm

Mike Dimin

14. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    my problem with shcaller was that the nut that connects the straplock to the strap kept vibrating loose. I used threadlock and really tightned down, but it kept coming loose. Dunlops have that locking C-ring, so there are no more problems with things vibrating. I tend to jump around a lot and haven't had any problems yet...

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Neither type will work right if you don't use them right. I've found that a Dunlop will occasionally come loose if you're in a hurry and don't get the post all the way in. A Schaller kind of cups the knob on the bottom, even if the locking mechanism isn't working right, which to my mind gives some extra security; any positive downward pressure needed is supplied by the weight of the bass. A Dunlop that isn't working right basically gives you no help.

So far, my basses have JDs and my guitars have Schallers. I didn't plan that; it just happened. I tend to like the Schallers better these days, but I still use both types and have had very few problems with either, and no problems that a little adjustment, a little care, or the exchange of a dysfunctional part for a functional one wouldn't fix. If I were spec'ing a brand new instrument, I'd probably go for Schallers, but if I got an instrument with JDs, I don't know that I'd bother to change, because I'm not convinced that the gain would be all that great.

Oh yeah, I do think Schallers are easier to put on--I always end up scraping myself with something when I put the JD dingus on the strap.

One caveat about going from one type to another--the screws they use aren't the same size.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Here in Chicago, we have this thing called "gravity". ;)

17. embellisher

I have seen 2 different guitarists who were jumping around like maniacs drop their guitars. They were both using Schallers. Their jumping around overcame gravity enough for the strap to come off of the pin.

I have seen several people using Schallers drop a guitar or a bass when the nut on the strap worked loose.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They must be anti-gravity;)

and not in Chicago:D

19. embellisher

:D

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Geez Jeff, looks like you're on TalkBass as late as I usually am ;) I've experienced a similar problem with the nut on my Schallers coming loose...had to catch my bass from falling several times.

My new seven-string is coming equipped with Dunlops, my first set, so I guess I'll find out how well those work. I don't even know what they look like up close, really.