Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing form active to passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Mar 7, 2006.

1. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    If you go to playing mainly active basses do you have to drop your passives?

I'm talking mainly in a live sense. I've recently gotten a Bongo bass and I love it! But, I've noticed that I can't just go and garb my standard MIA J-Bass without adjusting the amp a bit.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You could A/B your setup, with an A/B box that has separate volume controls...that way you can lower the volume of the active or raise the volume of the passive and keep it that way. When you switch, just hit the A/B switch and you don't have to change volumes.

Either that, or just lower the volume of the active bass on the bass itself.

3. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I use a Mesa 400+ so I'm using an AB/Y already and I don't want to lose the channels of the amp.

Maybe I'll just go all active.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Are you a shape-shifter?

5. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I've been known to walk through walls.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    So you're probably better off either leveling the volume of the active bass, or just going all active.

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I only have issues with different output levels, but that varies regardless of whether something is active or passive...my P bass is louder than my Ritter (when flat).

Marshall

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    All my basses, active or passive, have different output levels. I have to adjust for anything.