Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing from 18volt to 9volt?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joshua Pickenpaugh, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    My Modulus fretless 6 has an 18-volt preamp that I'd like to make a 9-volt. Reason being every time I plug into an amp after playing one of my 9-volt Modulus' the 18-volts make everything distort from having such a hot output.

Lord knows I'm no techy, but would this be the solution to having to adjust my amp/effect settings everytime I wish to play this bass? Thanks guys!

2. I don't know if converting the bass from 18v to 9v will necessarily change the output all that much--when I converted my Modulus from 9v to 18, I don't remember the output being noticably hotter.

I've never looked in the control cavity of a Modulus that was set up 18v from the factory, so I can't be sure how it's wired. When I did it myself, though, all that was involved was splicing another battery connector in series with the existing one. Look and see if the black (negative/ground) wire from one of the battery connectors is connected to the red (positive/hot) wire of the other--that should give you an idea. Of course, if the wires aren't color-coded, it could be a bit tougher to figure out (and tougher to explain!).

You might also check with Modulus and/or EMG about the differences in output between 9 and 18v. The Bartolini EQ circuit has a little pot to set the overall output level, but I don't remember the EMG circuit having one.

Good luck,
    Mike

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    cut the wires, re-solder for only one battery, it's that simple.