Changing from 18volt to 9volt?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joshua Pickenpaugh, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    My Modulus fretless 6 has an 18-volt preamp that I'd like to make a 9-volt. Reason being every time I plug into an amp after playing one of my 9-volt Modulus' the 18-volts make everything distort from having such a hot output.

Lord knows I'm no techy, but would this be the solution to having to adjust my amp/effect settings everytime I wish to play this bass? Thanks guys!
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I don't know if converting the bass from 18v to 9v will necessarily change the output all that much--when I converted my Modulus from 9v to 18, I don't remember the output being noticably hotter.

I've never looked in the control cavity of a Modulus that was set up 18v from the factory, so I can't be sure how it's wired. When I did it myself, though, all that was involved was splicing another battery connector in series with the existing one. Look and see if the black (negative/ground) wire from one of the battery connectors is connected to the red (positive/hot) wire of the other--that should give you an idea. Of course, if the wires aren't color-coded, it could be a bit tougher to figure out (and tougher to explain!).

You might also check with Modulus and/or EMG about the differences in output between 9 and 18v. The Bartolini EQ circuit has a little pot to set the overall output level, but I don't remember the EMG circuit having one.

Good luck,
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    cut the wires, re-solder for only one battery, it's that simple.