1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing from a lowB to a highC...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jazzy grille, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Hey, I just recieved my set of strings with a highC instead of a lowB and i have a quick question.. I have the action and inotation set up perfectly on this bass so when i change the strings what will i have to do to the neck to compensate for the extra tension on the neck. Should i losen the truss rod or Tighten it.. Keep in mind i like my action rather low.

For some reason these things are hard for me to figure out :meh:. I guess I just dont want to mess up anything so i think tooo hard about it.

I know how to setup the intotaition and all that stuff, the only thing i am not sure on is wether to tighten it or loosen the truss rod. Once i get that done everything else is a breeze for me.

thanks!

brian.

2. you might not have to turn the truss rod at all, but check the sticky at the top of the page that will link you to gary willis' site, its got a great tutorial on setting your truss rod as well as a walkthrough of a whole setup.

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Been there, done that :)
    Change the strings over, let the bass settle overnight and have a look at it in the morning. If it's got too much relief you need to tighten the truss-rod (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey). I'd give it a 1/8 turn, then let it settle for a few hours. Repeat as necessary.

BTW, I'm quite partial to Red Stripe - shame we don't get it here in Oz. The ads are great too :)

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I would just do it, and then see if it needs anything the next day or two.
    Don't anticipate it, just react and adjust.

5. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Agreed, don't make the change unless you have to.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

On some basses, the neck stays the same for this switch. I personally had to loosen the TR (I think I took too long restringing and it backbowed a little).

In my experience with switching to this tuning though (and from what I've heard from pretty much anyone else who's done it), you will need to redo your action and intonation.

6. The neck usually responds to the higher tension of the C vs. the B strings, so you may or may not need to tighten the truss rod. It depends on how much it moves and how fussy you are!

The intonation will need to be tweaked, but get the relief and string heights dialed in and save the intonation for last. Give yourself a treat and raise the pickups a hair as well. That C string can kind of disappear if the pickups are too far away.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021