1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing from belcanto solos to?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BostonPop01, Apr 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BostonPop01

BostonPop01

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    It's time for a string change. I've used belcantos on my modern bass for years without ever really considering a change.
    I've recently played other basses with belcantos and have found that the string is just often too bland, which has led me to consider whether I could find another string with a bit more color and brightness in the sound.

I tried permanent solos on the bass which were just too direct. This particular bass needs a bit of warmth as well to sound its best.

Any suggestions? Would Flexocore deluxe be a bit brighter without losing the warmth in arco/solo playing?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Spiro Solos are hands down the best solo string on the market. If I ever need to play in solo tuning that's what I use.

Co. likes this.
  3. +1 for Spiro Solos. Not your typical "Spiro" sound but definitely more character than the Bels.

4. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Comparison of Spiro Solos and Belcanto Solos on YouTube

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone ever try Belcanto solos on upper two strings with Spiro solos on lower two in orchestra tuning?

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone try the Passione solos?? Thanks

luisraulmunoz likes this.
  7. Can’t speak for arco playing, but for jazz pizz they’re about the blandest strings I’ve tried so far...

8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Passiones or Belcantos? Sorry?

9. Passiones, I was replying to your question.
    I should have quoted, I guess.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My bad. Thanks!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021