Changing From FCS to Dominants

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Istar, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hey Guys,

I’ve been using Flat chrome steel string for some and I play mostly arco and some pizz and overall I’m pretty happy with them but they sound a little to metallic for me. So after looking a round much and doing some searches on here I came to the conclusion that I might try some dominants on my bass. I think the darker gutier sounds is exactly what I’m looking for. But I have a slight problem. You see the Thomastik website says it’s for basses with a string length of 104-106 while my bass has a string length of 107. Any one got any experience with this. Am I worrying for nothing or can I go and look for some new strings ?? HELP !! :meh:
  2. exmachina

Feb 3, 2006
    Hi, I am a newbie from Belgium, this is my 1st post ; I'd like to thank you all for sharing your feelings and experience that helped me more than often...
    Hi Istar, I hope this could help you : I just bought a set of Dominants to put on my bass (string length 108). Haven't installed yet, but I can give you some interresting infos about the lengh of those strings between the ball end and the end of the metal wrapping : it's between 132 and 134 on this set, sligthly varying from one string to another, so, if you add 107 at the distance between the tailpiece and the bridge on your bass, you'll have an idea whether this could work for you.
    Hope this helps...:smug: