1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing from Rounds to Flats (Same Gauge)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimbowhit7, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I hope this is the right section to post this in, but I bought some D'Addario Chromes (105-50) today, and was considering just changing the strings myself. The bass in question has 105-50 rounds on it, and I was wondering if there was anything I needed to be aware of. I was told by someone at Guitar Center that a setup would be needed because of different tension, but if it's just minor adjustments in question I'd rather do it myself than pay $50 for someone else to do it. Would there really be that big of a difference in tension if they're the same gauge?

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    You will definitely need a setup.
    Just do it yourself, it’s no biggie ;)

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    When you say setup, do you mean intonation and truss rod adjustments?

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Essentially it's truss rod and intonation adjustments that will be needed.

soulman969 likes this.
  5. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I think I can handle those myself. I've never tried truss rod adjustments on any bass other than my Music Man (which has that awesome wheel at the base of the neck for adjusting it), but I've made intonation adjustments myself numerous times. Thanks for the clarification!

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Yes. Very easy to do.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    After you swap the strings, run through this four part series, best I’ve seen on YouTube. His numbers are “do no harm” conservative, after that, tweak to taste.

8. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Update: I put the strings on the bass, and as of now there is no issue with the neck. I had to adjust the intonation some, but the neck is not bowing at all (or if it is it's so little I can't see it). Also, I LOVE how they sound!

Edit: Also tried them out with distortion, fuzz, chorus, and flanger pedals, and they're still bright enough to sound good with those effects.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  9. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Thanks again for everyone's help!

bonruiz likes this.