1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pickftw, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Pickftw

Pickftw

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey I'm looking to change the strings on my fender p bass. The ones i have now are the ones it came with from the music store (i don't know the exact gauge but i think their extra light or light) and I'm looking to change them to Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys gauges 45 65 85 and 105 for a deeper sound. From what I've read ill have to adjust my neck and saddles. I don't want to go to my local music store because they're waaay to over price on stuff like this so I'm looking to do it myself. Does anyone have any websites or videos that show you how to do this? Also would the switch in string gauges be hard for a beginner?

2. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    A great first self mod. Those strings should fit fine. Depending on the difference in tension with what you have on it now you may have to make a few adjustments, but nothing you can't figure out. tunemybass.com is a pretty handy resource.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    After you change the strings one at a time. Tuning as you go. Sight down the neck. If its not practically dead straight/ Loosen string just a little and tweak truss rod. Then retune. Check relief then proceed to adjust saddles if needed. Adjust each as you prefer for low action or otherwise. Adjust intonation if needed. Play and enjoy. Any and all measurement systems are only useful to the person who invented it and they wont give other players optimum action for them. As this will normally vary a little bit from peep to peep depending on personal preferance.

Ask a guitar or bass playing friend to help you learn adjustment hands on if desired.

5. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    Dude! Setting up your own instruments is something every musician should be able to do. Your bass is tool of your trade. If you have your owners manual, the setup procedure is in there. If not, here's a link: http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/Fender_Guitars_and_Basses_(2003)_manual.pdf Initially, it's a little daunting. You'll probably worry you're not doing something right and end up double and triple checking everything. After a couple of times, you'll realize it's pretty easy. You'll also learn what you do and don't like and be able to tweak it yourself. Including changing strings, I can do a setup on one of my basses in less than 15 minutes. I set my basses up twice a year, after the weather changes. The tools you will need are: a screwdriver, a capo, allen wrenches, and a measuring tool - I use a digital caliper, but stewmac has a handy tool for this purpose: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/String_Action_Gauge.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=18007
    I've been doing my own setups for more than 20 years. All of my basses play the same. And, I have saved a ton of money for myself and my bandmates.