Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing Hardware Colour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DenisW, May 18, 2003.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    Has anyone changed their hardware colour? The reason I ask is that I have a Warwick Bass with Gold hardware.It is a few years old and the Gold hardware is discoloured.I am thinking of changing to Black hardware.Good idea or will it devalue my Bass?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I changed the hardware on an old Dean Edge 4 Fretless that I'm selling. The original hardware was black and the owner didn't take very good care of it. The bridge saddles, pick up screws etc.. were kinda rusty. I put on gold hardare. The only thing I didn't change are the neck screws.

I can't really say that it would affect the value of the bass seeing as hardware is so easy to change anyway. If you were to put original Warwick hardware on it I don't think it would have any affect. You could always clean the gold hardware too ya know. Just a thought

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    It doesnt matter really, as far as the hardware goes. Just save it... so if/when you sell it, you can either re-install it, or just include it with the sale.

I think black hardware always looks nice. :cool:

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    ive got a bit of a soft spot for the titanium look hardware they use on some of the ibanez models..... not if only warwick made theres in that finish mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

5. IIRC some Fortress MasterMan basses had that, and I even think I've seen it on a Dolphin or two. If I'm right, they might have some left in a drawer somewhere.

6. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting... ill think ill chase that up.

7. I had to change hardware on a bass I bought. It was a Fender MB-5 and had really nice hipshot hardware, but the bridge was a wide string spacing and didn't fit the bass. So the G string was like hanging off the neck at about the 15th fret. Since the bass wasn't anything special I sold off the hipshot hardware and replaced it with Gotoh black mini's, and a mighty-mite bridge. I also put a 2 band preamp in it and changed to black knobs.

Before:[​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

I think the improvement is dramatic, of course the sunburst finish kinda screams for black.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Mmmm..nice bass :) I like the black hardware alot better too.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'd just leave it if I were you - basses that look a bit aged and used are so much cooler IMHO. My Warwick's 16 years old and the gold is partially worn off the knobs, the body has the odd dent and there's a big wear patch where I pop the strings. I'm putting an Aguilar OBP-3 in it but I'm keeping the cool old knobs, it just wouldn't feel right having shiny new hardware on an old gigging machine.

Alex