Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

changing high C to low B

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jan 24, 2002.

1. I currently have my 5 strung with a High C (EADGC), but i wanna chage it to a B (BEADG)...my question is with the truss rod.. anybody know hw much, approx, the truss rod will need, which way should i turn it etc.
    any help is great
    cheers

*Si*

2. put strings on and check what mod u need.. it's as simple as that..

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The difference in the tension of a high C string and a low b string is not nearly as much as you might expect. Typically B string are in the upper 30s range and C strings are in the low to mid 30s. So, I would start as suggested by just stringing it up and giving it a look.

Take a close inspection of the nut. If the bass was set and strung from the factory for E-C, you may have to do a little work on the nut to get the strings to settle into it.

Chas

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Chasarms is right, but the nut MIGHT not need adjusting. I just strung up from EADGC to BEADG tonight, and didn't have to adjust a thing. The action, string height, and intonation were all exactly the same. That's not to say that will be the case with EVERYONE, but as was said before, it's one of those things you'll have to judge yourself.

5. hey
    thanks 4 all your suggestions, i just re-strung it last night. Because the bass was strung BEADG in the shop and i got them to re-string it EADGC, wen i put the B back on last night, i needed to do no adjustments...the nut was the same anyway, so no problem there, intonation etc was all great
    cheers

*Si*