Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing knob configuration

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Alexander, Mar 17, 2006.

1. I have been thinking about changing the knob configuration on my Peavey Millenium BXP. Currently the configuration is neck pickup volume, bridge pickup volume, tone. I want to change it to master volume, balance, tone. Will this change the sound of my bass at all?

Thanks

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It shouldn't... But if you make the change, you'll never really know because you can't A/B it;)

Any particular reason you'd want to change it? Is the bass still under warranty?

3. The main reason I want to modify it is because I hate having to turn two volume knobs down when I want to be quiet. I am also hoping that it will stop the humming I get if I solo one of the pups, but that may be an issue of the electronics compartment (i guess that is what you would call it) not being shielded. I really dont know. And thanks for bringing up the topic of it still being under warranty. I just realized that it is, so I guess if it wouldnt really help, I shouldn't do it.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the pickups are single coil type, they all hum solo...such is the nature of the beast.

Switching to volume, blend, tone won't change that either. Since it's under warranty, you could have a Peavey dealer/service person look at it...or at least contact Peavey and tell them what's going on...

5. Thanks for the info. I think I will just leave the configuration alone (at least until it isnt under warranty anymore :ninja: )

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Peavey (and there are two "e"s in Hartley's last name) website describes the pickups as "hum canceling". They shouldn't hum even when played solo...

You 'oughta have the bass looked at while it's still on their nickel!