1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Changing Musical Tastes Over Time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGuyFL, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Just wondering how your tastes have changes over time and what different things you like now that you didn't back then.

For example I used to really be into all the hair metal stuff in the 80's and now I wouldn't walk across the street to see whatever's left of Ratt or Cinderella for free. Also used to hate Duran Duran back then and now I love them John Taylor is a great player.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have gone from Motor City punk like the MC5 & The Stooges to FM classic rock to EZ Listening stuff of the 60' & 70's Burt Bacharach, Herb Albert, the mellllowwww stuff.

Still cycle through all of it in a studio player type fashion to keep current.

Have the hardest time with the new pop. No interest there at all.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I don't think I've given up much of the music that I enjoyed when younger, I've just included more stuff that I enjoy along the way.

I think part of it is having the maturity to listen to stuff without the concern of it being your identity. That was probably the biggest obstacle.

I still listen to alternative, classic rock, and oldies (the stuff local radio raised me on), but have complemented that with a lot more stoner and indie rock, old school funk, and hip hop.

4. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    My taste has pretty much stayed the same and I tell everyone that my band plays classic rock...it wasn't classic when I started playing it (cause it was new at that time)! Seriously, my taste has always been eclectic (except for pop stuff) everything from jazz to metal.

5. Grew up on 60s/70s folk and rock.
    Listened to hair metal from about the time Pyromania came out until about Dr Feelgood.
    Listened to gangster rap for a few years in the late-80s & early 90s.
    Listened to metal since I was about 12 or 13 & still do. Tastes have moved from thrash to stoner and doom, but still dig the thrash
    Listened to punk rock since I was bout 15 or 16 & still do. Tastes have moved from so-cal to more post-punk. Can't really stand so-cal punk rock anymore.
    Listening to 80s new wave since meeting my wife 6 years ago.
    Listening to 60s and 70s country/folk again for the last couple years.
    Listening to newer west Texas sorta country/folk for the last couple years.

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I was raised on Classical Music. My favorite was Beethoven, of course. With plenty of love for Mozart, Bach and Stravinski. As a pre-teen, I listened to some AM Radio of the time. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, David Essex, that sort of thing. It all changed when Tim, down the street, bought KISS Alive! I soon got into Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, and such, and then I found Rush, and went insane.

I listened to a lot of late seventies/early eighties FM Radio Album Rock, and discovered deeper stuff, beginning with Jimi, Janis and the Doors, and ultimately finding Traffic, CSN&Y and slowly lost my love for corporate stooge rock and then all popular music.

By the mid eighties, I only listened to jazz, folk, and psychedlic, and despised mainstream rock and heavy metal. I never got into Hair Metal, or anything, and the first time I liked something from the radio was when grunge came out, and I liked some of that.

Now, I'm seventeen again, and listen to a TON of Classic Rock, (mostly because we play it in my band,) but I like all the other stuff I ever liked, except some of the more complicated jazz stuff kind of bores me now.

I still think Beethoven is my favorite.

Nobody ever topped Ludwig.

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    In a period of about 10 years

Modern Pop/Hip-Hop>Mainstream Rock>90s Grunge>Punk>Thrash Metal>Classic Rock>90s G-Funk>Prog>Funk>Fusion>Jazz>Classical>Hindi Classical Music>Traditional Japanese Koto/Flute music

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I haven't changed my taste in music, more like broadened the palette really.

In my teens I was huge on death metal and grindcore and pretty much hated all the rest. Around the same time I picked up bass guitar I developed an interest in psychedelic and early prog rock (everything from hendrix to jefferson airplane to canterbury scene to king crimson to pink floyd etc). Lately I find myself mainly interested in Jazz, Funk, Canterbury and Doom.

I still listen to death and grind every now and then but my BS tolerance has declined dramatically. Still, loads of bands with tons of groove to be found there, like Splatterhouse, Machetazo, Gruesome stuff relish, General Surgery etc. So all is well.

9. my taste haven't changed, so much as it has broadened. i like the stuff i used to like, and now i like stuff i didn't appreciate before.

10. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    +1

11. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    my musical taste moved from one coast to the other. I started with Californian pop punk: Blink 182, New Found Glory, Green day, etc. Now I'm really into New York based bands like Interpol, Vampire Weekend, The Drums and The Strokes, but also some European indie/alternative rockers like Bloc Party, The Klaxons, Phoenix and Radiohead.

though, I still listen to Blink 182 from time to time.

12. SlowMike

SlowMike

Nov 28, 2012
    +2. And I can appreciate a lot of music now that I still don't really like or just can't fully get into.

Biggest changes since I picked up the bass have been really getting into Rush, rediscovering Yes, which was of my favorites as a teenager, and dusting off my old Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, and Police CDs. Now if I could just find some energetic, musically optimistic sounding new prog stuff I'd be set...unfortunately these youngsters today aren't a very happy bunch.

13. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I look at the CD's I bought back in the 80's and think WOW I actually use to listen to that. Many of the CD's I don't really listen to anymore. I think as I have gotten older my taste have changed from 80's new wave to classic rock and jazz.

14. I was into Metal in my youth now I like to listen to classical music which helps me with the road rage you get driving on these NJ roads :)

15. I went through these phases (sorta):

1) Loathed most music (I know, shocking, huh?), well, more like completely indifferent... or so I thought at the time. I was too much into videogames. A no-no.
    2) Loathed most music except nu metal and/or metal from the 90s (especially Korn, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, and the like; I know, shocking, huh?). Still was being vegetized by videogames. On the bright side, as far as I remember I always loved Christmas music. And I still do.
    3) Wasn't loathing most music, but being still indifferent to it.
    4) Started to appreciate live orchestral music, but didn't nurture that liking well enough. I was kinda forced into hearing U2 and Duran Duran by my sis. Didn't last long.
    5) Went into an AC/DC phase. Mild rocker.
    6) Went again into an indifferent phase, except for Mariachi music. I'm Mexican, after all. Still a fan. I also developed a weird taste for Belanova, a Mexican electronic pop band with very cheesy songs. Still a fan too (Edit: the singer of that band is hot, by the way!).
    7) Discovered I have a passion for playing music (by playing Rock Band; I know, shocking, huh?). Became a huge rocker (mild metalhead), especially of the oldies from the 60s-80s. Got a bit into blues. Started to explore the world of prog rock (but haven't done a very in-depth exploration: some Rush, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Kansas). Developed a liking for The Black Keys, primarily because my former band loved to cover their songs.
    8) Current phase: discovering a lot more variety. Getting into jazz, funk, reggae and ska. I even went through a very short-lived hip hop phase. Recently, I'm growing fond of the Beatles (some of the more upbeat and/or inventive stuff anyway; a time ago, I only really liked their stuff on the Yellow Submarine movie). The "genres" that tend to move me the most (sometimes to sobbing/ tears) is Christmas music and choral music, and some epic movie music arrangements.

I guess I can appreciate many genres of music now as I'm growing as a musician myself. Sounds logical.

16. I don't know what I like anymore. I think I'm getting into funk, but I'm not sure. Vulfpeck has changed a lot of things for me.

17. Hmmm...

Some of the outstanding bands/artists I have been interested in, in sorta chronological order:

Jethro Tull
    The Police
    Led Zeppelin
    The Doors
    Robert Johnson
    Muddy Waters
    Pink Floyd
    Miles Davis (and alumni)
    James Brown
    J.S. Bach
    John Coltrane
    Bob Marley
    A.C. Tom Jobim

So... definitely classic rock and blues background, got into the Miles and related jazz in my late teens / early 20s, then branched out with interests in funk, baroque, avant garde, reggae, and bossa nova. I think there is a way to view those all as similar, in some ways ;)

Recent cool artists I like:
    Lianne La Havas
    Hiromi
    Asa
    Y'akoto
    Chihiro Yamanaka

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    When I was younger I didn't like Blues... I thought it was boring. Now it is one of the main genres I listen to.

19. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm 36, and I started out listening to 80's Metal like my brother and sister did. There were a few new wave and pop artists I liked but would've never admitted it back then. I still liked Metal into the 90's but got into rap, hip-hop. The music they sampled led me to getting into old RnB and funk. I never stopped liking any of those genre's, but in my 20's, I started listening to more flamenco and jazz (yeah, "smooth" jazz, too). These days, my iPhone and Pandora channels are cluttered with all of those genres.

One thing that's changed for me recently... I've been playing music since 7th grade, and I did become some what of a music snob, but taking up playing again has made me appreciate a lot more of what I use to consider "simple" music.

20. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I used to be a bit of a classical-motown-pop nerd, with a liking for the Beatles. Then, round junior year, I discovered metal and hard rock (My dad was a Cream fan. Still is). I bought my first album, Master of Puppets, senior year, and went nuts over that, then Rider the Lightning.

Eventually I actually branched out from that into Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Queensr├┐che, and Maiden (though I liked Maiden already, I mean I actually really started appreciating it musically). Then, one day, I remembered a lot of people apparently liked this one band called Rush or something. So I typed in "rush" on youtube and hit the first link. Subdivisions.

That was probably two years ago. Now, Rush is by far my favourite band. I wish to shake Geddy Lee's hand one day.

Nowadays, I'm a fan of metal as much as Motown, rap, or even electronica (particularly Vangelis and OSI). I'm probably leaving a lot out, but it's 121 and I'm tired.