Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing my 5 into a 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ok this is a really big move, but with my American Jazz Bass V, how much would it be to make it an American Jazz Bass VI lol. Think about this, i would add another tuning machine at the head, change the nut to fit 6 strings, buy a custom 6 string pickup that would fit, and change the bridge. The problem is it has its strings through the body, and i would have to do something about that. Ideas and estimates would be appreciated, p.s. im having a luither do the work.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Will you be comfortable with the string spacing that way? I can't give a estimate but you are talking a large amount, probably enough just to by a decent six string. You will need a new bridge, routing for a new bridge, etc.

Is that bass so special to you that you are willing to change it that much?

3. well the whole point was to get tight spacing for easier chords, etc.. plus i dont like the feel of really big necks.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ok well it well be very tight. Actually if you want a really tight spaced 6 maybe you could do a Warmoth. Get a Jazz body routed for a six string adjustable bridge and pickups and use the paddle headstock shape so you could fit the six tuners on it.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Get a Yahama RBX6JM (Series 1) used - it will cost less than your modifications and has very tight string spacing for a 6.

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Better yet, get a used cirrus 6 off ebay. You will not be dissapointed.

7. actually i think im just gonna stick with 5. thanks for the help though

8. I suppose it would be possible to use a regular 6-string pickup at an angle??

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Even thought you have decided not to, just a couple of thoughts ...

Aren't 5/6 string pickups usually rail types? If not, get a rail type and the spacing won't matter.

If you get a new bridge, don't go though the body. Simple as that.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, your pickups have poles. Here is an example of a rail pickup. The advantage is that string spacing dosen't matter as long as the rails are long enough. Sorry for the non-bass pickup, most bass pickups have a cover which makes it hard to see the rails.

11. Then why the heck do you have a fender???? those things have BEEFY necks! :smug:

12. i meant wide neck, not big, my mistake. V string necks is as wide as ill go.